Question About Ich in Fallow Tank

Zach72202

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer- I am not new to fish, but am new to saltwater. I have a lot of freshwater tanks, but salt is new to me.

So I recently started a saltwater tank. Nothing complicated, just a 40B and planning to keep it low tech. I do QT in freshwater, as I am familiar with the disease and go-to meds, but in saltwater I am not all to sure.

Here's the situation:
Got fish- fish had ich.
Fish are now into a 10g tank with cupramine in it, copper test kit shows 0.5mg/L (at least I think those are the units)
All signs of ich seem to be gone, but I will be letting it sit for an extra few days just to make sure.
Fish are doing well, no problems there.

It's probably worth noting that the system never had any invert's (yet)

The problem then lies in the system. From my understanding, ich is now in the system, and really the main way to eradicate it is to wait a while or nuke it with copper. As I want to use the tank for a soft coral farm, copper isn't really an option unless I want to play with cuprisorb, which, I'm not about that.

Its just a standard 40B tank with an Aquaclear 70 on it. A few pieces of rock and crushed coral sand. The tank has only been going for about a month and a half, so nothing has really built up. I know its not really ideal, but this isn't supposed to be a display tank. I plan to use the tank for my pair of clowns and I would like to breed bengaii cardinals, along with soft corals as stated above. Nothing much more than that.

I do have a 7.5g cube tank I am using as a nano reef as well, so I can use that a seed bacteria. Given the tank is so new, and I wanted the ich out, I pretty much drained it of all saltwater and left it to run freshwater, resetting the tank. It has been like this for a few days now. How long do you guys think I should wait until all of the ich is gone and I could restart the tank as salty? I know this is probably the oddest way to go about it, maybe not even a good way, but who knows, its a learning experience nonetheless.

Sorry for the long winded thread, but thanks for reading!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer- I am not new to fish, but am new to saltwater. I have a lot of freshwater tanks, but salt is new to me.

So I recently started a saltwater tank. Nothing complicated, just a 40B and planning to keep it low tech. I do QT in freshwater, as I am familiar with the disease and go-to meds, but in saltwater I am not all to sure.

Here's the situation:
Got fish- fish had ich.
Fish are now into a 10g tank with cupramine in it, copper test kit shows 0.5mg/L (at least I think those are the units)
All signs of ich seem to be gone, but I will be letting it sit for an extra few days just to make sure.
Fish are doing well, no problems there.

It's probably worth noting that the system never had any invert's (yet)

The problem then lies in the system. From my understanding, ich is now in the system, and really the main way to eradicate it is to wait a while or nuke it with copper. As I want to use the tank for a soft coral farm, copper isn't really an option unless I want to play with cuprisorb, which, I'm not about that.

Its just a standard 40B tank with an Aquaclear 70 on it. A few pieces of rock and crushed coral sand. The tank has only been going for about a month and a half, so nothing has really built up. I know its not really ideal, but this isn't supposed to be a display tank. I plan to use the tank for my pair of clowns and I would like to breed bengaii cardinals, along with soft corals as stated above. Nothing much more than that.

I do have a 7.5g cube tank I am using as a nano reef as well, so I can use that a seed bacteria. Given the tank is so new, and I wanted the ich out, I pretty much drained it of all saltwater and left it to run freshwater, resetting the tank. It has been like this for a few days now. How long do you guys think I should wait until all of the ich is gone and I could restart the tank as salty? I know this is probably the oddest way to go about it, maybe not even a good way, but who knows, its a learning experience nonetheless.

Sorry for the long winded thread, but thanks for reading!
Nuking a tank with copper to eradicate ich is a bad idea. The whole issue with needing to leave a tank fallow is that the tomonts (resting stage) can hang out for quite some time in the absence of fish, and then release theronts at a later date. Copper does not really affect tomonts. If the tank is completely empty of animals and you want to reboot it, you could sterilize with bleach or perhaps peroxide (I can get you doses if you want to go that route). Otherwise, you would need to leave the tank operating fishless for a minimum of 45 days at 81 degrees F. to as much as 76 days at cooler temperatures.

jay

OP
OP
Zach72202

Zach72202

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nuking a tank with copper to eradicate ich is a bad idea. The whole issue with needing to leave a tank fallow is that the tomonts (resting stage) can hang out for quite some time in the absence of fish, and then release theronts at a later date. Copper does not really affect tomonts. If the tank is completely empty of animals and you want to reboot it, you could sterilize with bleach or perhaps peroxide (I can get you doses if you want to go that route). Otherwise, you would need to leave the tank operating fishless for a minimum of 45 days at 81 degrees F. to as much as 76 days at cooler temperatures.

jay
I wouldn't mind adding some peroxide to the tank as an extra precaution to rid of the ich. How fast would that make it so it could be fish safe again?

Also, I took all of the salt out of the tank, so it is freshwater now. I assume that would be almost instant like this, but not sure how long I would have to have it like this. Would freshwater kill tomonts? Will the peroxide kill the tomonts too? I would like to get this sytem back and running as soon as I can safely! Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mind adding some peroxide to the tank as an extra precaution to rid of the ich. How fast would that make it so it could be fish safe again?

Also, I took all of the salt out of the tank, so it is freshwater now. I assume that would be almost instant like this, but not sure how long I would have to have it like this. Would freshwater kill tomonts? Will the peroxide kill the tomonts too? I would like to get this sytem back and running as soon as I can safely! Thank you!
I missed the part where you said it was FW now. If you let it run 72 hours, you’ll get rid of the ich tomonts.
Jay

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.6%
Back