Question about known "jumper" fish

themadman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are many fish who tend to jump so it is recommended to have a tight lid on your tank. I've got an AA clearview lid on my tank but my question is once these fish settle in do they still try to jump out when the lid is removed for tank maintenance etc? So far I have no "jumper" fish in my tank but there are a few I'm interested in. But I don't want one that is going to fly out of my tank every time I try to clean the glass! Lol. My son wants a firefish so that is one specific I would be curious about? A secondary question would be if having a Dracula Goby and firefish Goby both would be an issue?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time, the "jumpers" are well-behaved. It's when they get startled by something that they dash off - straight up.

If you're there working on the tank, you can scoop them up and toss them back in, generally no worse for wear. If you're not ... put the lid on it.

~Bruce, who's heard many tales of "I got distracted for a few minutes, only to return and . . . "

OP
OP
themadman

themadman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time, the "jumpers" are well-behaved. It's when they get startled by something that they dash off - straight up.

If you're there working on the tank, you can scoop them up and toss them back in, generally no worse for wear. If you're not ... put the lid on it.

~Bruce, who's heard many tales of "I got distracted for a few minutes, only to return and . . . "

Thanks for the info! I would definitely always be present when the lid is off. But I would still feel bad fetching a carpet surfer off the ground! Lol!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire Fish are Dartfish the common name is misleading, the Dracula is a true Goby. They reside in different zones of an aquarium, both are one of the more passive fish and should be fine together. Fire Fish can be prone to jumping regardless of time in system.
I have lost older established clowns to jumping. No one knows all the true reasons fish jump but I am inclined to think some fish jump to find greener grass, such as the Blue Spotted Jaw fish. For whatever reason that fish is seeking a more optimal environment for the fishes specific needs.

OP
OP
themadman

themadman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire Fish are Dartfish the common name is misleading, the Dracula is a true Goby. They reside in different zones of an aquarium, both are one of the more passive fish and should be fine together. Fire Fish can be prone to jumping regardless of time in system.
I have lost older established clowns to jumping. No one knows all the true reasons fish jump but I am inclined to think some fish jump to find greener grass, such as the Blue Spotted Jaw fish. For whatever reason that fish is seeking a more optimal environment for the fishes specific needs.

Awesome, thank you for that information!! I was definitely unaware of that, thinking they were both gobies due to the name. Thanks again for the response! I guess I've been blessed so far that none of my fish want to escape my tank! Yet...... Lol.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost a Randall's Prawn Goby at night. Jumped out this tiny spot not covered. Now it is glass topped and black plastic screened around the filters and skimmer intake and return.

OP
OP
themadman

themadman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost a Randall's Prawn Goby at night. Jumped out this tiny spot not covered. Now it is glass topped and black plastic screened around the filters and skimmer intake and return.

Sorry to hear that! Yeah even with my lid there's a couple small spots next to mount cutouts I suppose a small fish could get out of. Definitely makes me cautious about getting a "jumper".

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that! Yeah even with my lid there's a couple small spots next to mount cutouts I suppose a small fish could get out of. Definitely makes me cautious about getting a "jumper".
Thanks. The worst part. My replacement Randall's Prawn is a jerk. Killed my Red Saddle Back Anthies & swissguard basslet, but I have a Flame Angel now. Anytime he goes after anybody. The Angel puts him in his place. Almost like "stop being a jerk, because you don't want me to be one to you."

whyoming.white

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had 2 fire fish jump. One I saved the other wasn't so lucky. The first one found a small hole and jumped during the night. Another shot through a piece of eggcrate while I was doing a waterchange while the normal screen top was off.

Just last week I lost my diamond goby. Still not sure how he got out.

OP
OP
themadman

themadman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had 2 fire fish jump. One I saved the other wasn't so lucky. The first one found a small hole and jumped during the night. Another shot through a piece of eggcrate while I was doing a waterchange while the normal screen top was off.

Just last week I lost my diamond goby. Still not sure how he got out.

Dang these stories are definitely making me reconsider getting one of those. My son wants one so bad though.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grammica lined dartfish are beautiful, but they hide more than most fish and about $100 more. The scissor tails seem to be a schooling mid level fish. Here is my Ace(for Ace in the hole). Always afraid of him jumping. They go up and out if they were to get spooked, but I will say he was soooooo easy on the tank transfer.

20170225_120000.jpg

20170225_115844.jpg

OP
OP
themadman

themadman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grammica lined dartfish are beautiful, but they hide more than most fish and about $100 more. The scissor tails seem to be a schooling mid level fish. Here is my Ace(for Ace in the hole). Always afraid of him jumping. They go up and out if they were to get spooked, but I will say he was soooooo easy on the tank transfer.

20170225_120000.jpg

20170225_115844.jpg

Awesome looking fish!

OP
OP
themadman

themadman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, but honestly the picture does it no justice. The way the iridescent blue pops and when the fins open up it goes from that gold yellow to that iridescent blue. Sick!

I'm gonna check into those!

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many fish tend to jump out of the water, can be from being startled, chased by another fish of even just because. They seldom jump when your hands are in the tank but they still can. About as close as you can get to open top is with a mesh screen. Since I put them on my tank I have not had a fish get out. I know I have heard one hit the screen a couple times.

OP
OP
themadman

themadman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many fish tend to jump out of the water, can be from being startled, chased by another fish of even just because. They seldom jump when your hands are in the tank but they still can. About as close as you can get to open top is with a mesh screen. Since I put them on my tank I have not had a fish get out. I know I have heard one hit the screen a couple times.

I've got a top with a mesh screen. I am just concerned about when I take it off for tank maintenance. Never having owned a fish prone to jumping I wasn't sure if the try to jump every time the top comes off.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a top with a mesh screen. I am just concerned about when I take it off for tank maintenance. Never having owned a fish prone to jumping I wasn't sure if the try to jump every time the top comes off.
I've only had 1 fish jump with lid off while I was messing with the tank and it was recently. while I was feeding the tank my clownfish went after food so fast and hard that he plopped out the tank and cleared the kitchen table that's near the tank.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even fish that don't normally jump can still jump. If you have one jump while doing maintenance just pick it up gently and put it back. Dart fish are known for jumping, they are what made me put a screen on the tank. Be sure the area around the tank is clear as possible and you can reach behind stand to reach a jumper, you never no where they may end up. I have had fish that were partially dried up go back into tank and still survive.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back