Question about lettuce sea slugs and flow

GoldenOrbWeaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm thinking about getting a lettuce sea slug for my nano reef but I'm worried about flow. Some sources I have found say that a lot of flow is bad for them, while others say that flow is fine as long as it isn't high enough to move them and that filters and powerheads are covered so they aren't sucked in. My tank has one region with a lot of flow while the other part doesn't have much, so I guess a sea slug could stay there. Does anyone here have experience with them, and if so, what do you think?

catiebartholomew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm thinking about getting a lettuce sea slug for my nano reef but I'm worried about flow. Some sources I have found say that a lot of flow is bad for them, while others say that flow is fine as long as it isn't high enough to move them and that filters and powerheads are covered so they aren't sucked in. My tank has one region with a lot of flow while the other part doesn't have much, so I guess a sea slug could stay there. Does anyone here have experience with them, and if so, what do you think?
Hello!

I recently acquired some blue velvet nudibranchs. They are significantly impacted by flow. I can only imagine the lettuce sea slugs would be more affected given their body shape.

I took out my wave makers, angled my return pump upwards and moved some rocks around as to limit any open spaces in higher flow. My BVN has been extremely active since the flow level decreased. They will tumbleweed in moderate-high flow. The low end of moderate is pushing it without rockwork.

Hope that helps !

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back