`question about marine ich

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my tomini tang has a very very early stages of ich coming on.. i just went though the 3 month process i getting ich out of my tank.. do i need to pull all my fish out and qt or can i pull out the tang a qt just the tang. but if i pull out just the tang will the ich go after the others.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people, including myself feel like a tank is never truly ich free. I'm currently treating my display with hypo treatment cause of getting a ridiculous amount of parasites through my lfs, but even after that as well as having a bare bottom tank, it only takes one little critter to start the population again.

Ich usually comes out when fish are stressed as their immune symptoms have a more difficult time fighting of various diseases/parasites. Fighting ich may be as simple as keeping your fish happy and healthy.

Good luck with whatever you choose! You'll probably get many answers about different methods. Most of them are valid, so it's whatever you think you'd be best at. If one of my fish come down with ich, I feed them extra so they get more nutrients and do additional water changes to make up for the extra food I put in the water. Works well for me.

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a 10 gallon tank I can set up to qt the tang but im concern is I don't have another one to put the other 3 fish in and I'm pretty sure my rang is stressed from the addition of my angle he was ticked when I add him so I'm guessing that what stressed him out.. I'm ok with going to buy another 10g to house the other 3 fish but im just wondering if I need to.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tangs usually need, at a very minimum 75 gallons, and that's pushing it with most species. They're very active fish that constantly need to swim around. They are also very territorial so the smaller the tank, the more they feel they need to compete for food. Same goes with angels. Ten gallons is usually good for "nano" fish that as the name suggests, are very small. I hate to be the one telling you this, especially because I know how tempting it is to buy fish, but your tank size is probably one of the main reasons your fish are stressed.

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have a tomini tang he is small enough that 55 gallons should be fine I also am talking about an eblilli angle which again 55 gallons should be fine other then that I have 2 clown fish that my stock.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one fish has ich, then that means the entire tank has ich. The parasite actually spends more time "off fish" than on it. Encysted to rocks, glass, hard corals, etc.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O ok haha I was like 10 gallons... Well good luck with it. Plenty of very knowledgeable people on here. I'm sure they'll answer soon

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one fish has ich, then that means the entire tank has ich. The parasite actually spends more time "off fish" than on it. Encysted to rocks, glass, hard corals, etc.
Ok if you remember 3 months ago we went though this huge thread of explaining to me how to get rid of it.. now I did the 3 month with out fish to remove the ich.. do i need to do this process again and if so how do I prevent this from. Happening cause if its just gonna keep happening to me I'm just done with saltwater and gonna deal with fresh water. Cause I've had my fresh water puffer for 3 months and no problems.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok if you remember 3 months ago we went though this huge thread of explaining to me how to get rid of it.. now I did the 3 month with out fish to remove the ich.. do i need to do this process again and if so how do I prevent this from. Happening cause if its just gonna keep happening to me I'm just done with saltwater and gonna deal with fresh water. Cause I've had my fresh water puffer for 3 months and no problems.

How have you been QTing new fish you add to your tank? Do you also QT corals & inverts?

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have you been QTing new fish you add to your tank? Do you also QT corals & inverts?
I didn't qt these fish they all have bin at my local fish store for over 2.months before I bought them so i figured they were fine... I don't have coral and I didn't even know u could qt inverts or how u would do that.. my fish were fine until I got the recent one but i think the tang was over stressed when the new guy went into his cave the tang was just chasing him around for about a hour unroll I removed the cave and things calmed down.

I can set up a qt tank to treat them with cupamine but i need to buy another 10 gallon for all 4 fish cause I don't wanna put the tang and angle in a 10 together but the tang and clowns are buddies so they would be fine.

Everyone says ich is always present in the water colume is this true and if so would a uv sterilizer really do some good.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bug235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a purple tang until he decided to pick my corals but if your tang is in the early stages try using Reef Keeper, I didn’t believe in this kind of stuff but it cured my purple tang from its daily ich. My lfs said try it if it doesn’t work money back. It’s like an immune booster if your fish is not eating and sick nothing will work. I use this stuff when adding a new fish but a well maintained stress free tank is the best fighter against ich.

OP
OP
J

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually thinking of setting up my 10 gallon and just putting my inverts in that I don't have corals I have snails 2 crabs and a lobster I think I might remove them leave fish in display and cupamine the whole display tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually thinking of setting up my 10 gallon and just putting my inverts in that I don't have corals I have snails 2 crabs and a lobster I think I might remove them leave fish in display and cupamine the whole display tank.

If you go this route, it will be difficult to maintain a therapeutic copper level due to absorption by the rock & sand. You will need to test your copper level daily.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back