Question about order of introducing fish

jmwils1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a mystery illness wipe out all our fish 6 weeks ago - it did not appear to be ich and we assume it was Brook. Tank was cycled and about 6 weeks old wiith no ammonia, no nitrite and low nitrates. This killed an anthias first, then a bluespot jawfish followed by a hawk fish and then 2 clowns. The 65 gallon tank has been fallow since then (6 weeks today) except for corals crabs and snails. We have 2 baby clowns and a captive bred baby yellow tang that have been in quarantine (10 gallon tank) since they came home from the LFS 5 weeks ago. They are healthy and disease free. Today we have a blue spot jawfish and purple fire fish arriving from TSM after their 30 day quarantine. My plan was to introduce the jawfish today since they seem to be fickle and easily stressed. Should we put the fire fish in today as well or put him in the quarantine with the others. I was then going to put in the tang a week later and the clowns the following week...

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can introduce the jawfish and fire fish together. Then the tang and clowns like you already planned. Make sure you have a tight lid, both of these fish will try to jump on the first few nights

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can introduce the jawfish and fire fish together. Then the tang and clowns like you already planned. Make sure you have a tight lid, both of these fish will try to jump on the first few nights
+1
Clowns should be introduced last (even though they are babies). Jawfish, firefish, and tangs are all notorious jumpers so be careful and add a lid!

OP
OP
J

jmwils1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The night before we added the tang the jawfish jumped, hit the net cover, and was hanging out on the sandbed in the front corner the next day. After adding the tang the next day, it started hovering directly over and pecking at the BSJ. We also noticed a few white spots on the jawfish. Given our prior bad luck with jawfish we decided to take him out and treat with Kanaplex and Metroplex in case he was developing BSJ disease. He is currently eating well and seems to be doing ok. The tang and firefish are doing well. Should we add the clowns the same time we add the BSJ back in another week or plan on adding in the clowns this week and jawfish the net week after he finishes his hospital stay?

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The night before we added the tang the jawfish jumped, hit the net cover, and was hanging out on the sandbed in the front corner the next day. After adding the tang the next day, it started hovering directly over and pecking at the BSJ. We also noticed a few white spots on the jawfish. Given our prior bad luck with jawfish we decided to take him out and treat with Kanaplex and Metroplex in case he was developing BSJ disease. He is currently eating well and seems to be doing ok. The tang and firefish are doing well. Should we add the clowns the same time we add the BSJ back in another week or plan on adding in the clowns this week and jawfish the net week after he finishes his hospital stay?
That’s unfortunate for the jawfish. So long as you add the jawfish before the clowns set up their territory you should be fine. In my tank, my jawfish lives in a hole under the anemone/clownfish. They get along because the jawfish had made its burrow their before the clowns.
If you look in the bottom left corner of the picture you can see the jawfish. I’m at school so I can’t take a picture... also ignore the grime, I’m trying to beat dinos by allowing competitors to thrive. D9A2C0BC-7022-4239-B9C0-92CAC49AFD75.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back