Question about quarantine tank

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently placed a Royal gramma into my quarantine tank, I’d not added any Cooper type treatment to the tank yet and about a week after I’d placed it in the tank it died, prior to finding it floating and barely alive it was eating and behaving normally ‍♀️
no outward signs that any disease killed it.
My question is do I need to drain the tank completely and start over ?
I tested all the salt level and there’s no ammonia present, I’d previously had a tailspot blenny in the same quarantine, I cleaned and did a 20% water change after I moved the blenny into my main tank and he’s doing fine.
Since I have no idea what killed the Royal gramma I’m hesitant to use the quarantine tank again

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recently placed a Royal gramma into my quarantine tank, I’d not added any Cooper type treatment to the tank yet and about a week after I’d placed it in the tank it died, prior to finding it floating and barely alive it was eating and behaving normally ‍♀️
no outward signs that any disease killed it.
My question is do I need to drain the tank completely and start over ?
I tested all the salt level and there’s no ammonia present, I’d previously had a tailspot blenny in the same quarantine, I cleaned and did a 20% water change after I moved the blenny into my main tank and he’s doing fine.
Since I have no idea what killed the Royal gramma I’m hesitant to use the quarantine tank again
Unless you had disease, no need to drain however if empty - you can

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When all is well try thinking outside the box. 1. A power outage? Loss of oxygen. 2. Something accidentally sprayed into tank? Windex, Lemon Pledge etc. 3. Bug spray? 4. Temp/salinity? Not acclimated properly from original water. 5. QT tankmate aggressor? 6. Stress being sole QT resident? Good luck. Sorry to hear.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to use it again to replace the gramma, since I’m not sure why it died I wasn’t sure about adding a new fish ‍♀️
I figured I’d test all the parameters I can do a 20% water change and in a week or so add another fish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back