What are the parameters? To be honest it sounds like your tank is very over-filtered for that tank size. Nitrates are easy to reduce with water changes and phosphate is simple enough to remove with gfo or liquid phosphate remover. How old is the tank?
All the filtration devices i have are set up for the tank size i have. It most definitely isnt over filtered for what i have stocked in it.
-2 clownfish
-1 carpenter flasher wrasse
-1 juvenile flametail blenny
-2 peppermint shrimp
-1 cleaner shrimp
-1 pistol shrimp
-3 hermit crabs
- multiple snails
-multiple LPS corals including a torch, 2 hammers, a duncan, among others (they are all doing well and growing)
Water parameters tested tonight are as follows
Salinity 1.025
pH 8.0
Alkalinity 8.9
Nitrates 50
Phosphate 0.5
Calcium 395
Magnesium 1140
I do a weekly 2 gallon water change which is about 40% per month. I have tried a 4 gallon water change which didnt do much.....and yes, i understand diluting and such. I also have GFO already running. My phosphates have not budged. I may feed a little heavy in the evenings but i want to make sure the crabs and shrimps have something to eat and my clowns are pigs so i need to make sure the wrasse and blenny eat also.
The tank has been running since the beginning of January, so 5 months, almost 6. Stock was added slowly to help the tank balance with each addition and per my very honest LFS keeper.
Is there a problem with biopellets? I have done significant research on them and they seem like the thing i could use that will work and keep me from having to constantly dose them.