Question about washing rocks

txmk4

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 7, 2022
Messages
83
Reaction score
22
Location
houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the hurricane in the summer of 2024, my electricity went out for a week, I was out of country and by the time i got back all live stock had died, I cleaned ad much as I could do and decided not to proceed with the restocking. From time to time I did water changes but nothing massive. Now I would like to do water change and recycle, my question is do I have to take all all the rocks and wash them or just do the complete water change and proceed with the recycle.

Rocks were never taken out they always stayed in the tank with the water in it. Any suggestion would be appreciated
 
I would blow the rock off with a powerhead and if you have sand remove all of that and wash it until all the fines are clear, do a complete water change, put the sand back in and call it good.

If the rock has been wet it should be “cycled” and ready to go.
 
During the hurricane in the summer of 2024, my electricity went out for a week, I was out of country and by the time i got back all live stock had died, I cleaned ad much as I could do and decided not to proceed with the restocking. From time to time I did water changes but nothing massive. Now I would like to do water change and recycle, my question is do I have to take all all the rocks and wash them or just do the complete water change and proceed with the recycle.

Rocks were never taken out they always stayed in the tank with the water in it. Any suggestion would be appreciated

Can you post a pic of the tank as it is now?

Is there algae growing in the tank?
Any invertebrates left alive during this time?
You kept the tank operating more or less normally this whole time?
Did you do any "ghost feeding" during that time?

I've operated empty tanks with ghost feeding for up to a year with no issues.
 
Attached is a pic of a tank let me know if you need more, I see star fish on the glass and always spot bristle worms



17908000387587988717106077017296.jpg
 
Can you post a pic of the tank as it is now?

Is there algae growing in the tank?
Any invertebrates left alive during this time?
You kept the tank operating more or less normally this whole time?
Did you do any "ghost feeding" during that time?

I've operated empty tanks with ghost feeding for up to a year with no issues.



17908001787485731010884210837056.jpg
 
I would blow the rock off with a powerhead and if you have sand remove all of that and wash it until all the fines are clear, do a complete water change, put the sand back in and call it good.

If the rock has been wet it should be “cycled” and ready to go.
Remove sand in a brute or blast it in the tank?
 

I'd blow down the rocks and do a total water change and then start restocking with CUC and some hardy inverts....
 
Looks ok in my opinion. I would also recommend as others have suggested. Large water change to introduce some good clean water. I would run heavy carbon & skimmer to remove any left over heavy organics from the death, in case all that stuff is still lingering around the system.
 
Remove sand in a brute or blast it in the tank?
5 gallon bucket, use a tap water garden hose and clean the sand like you are trying to wash latex paint off a brush or roller. Agitate the sand, rinse and repeat until the fine detritus clouds are gone.

Washing sand like this will prevent the typical cloudiness that occurs when you stir or vacuum the sand in the tank in the future. It’s a beautiful thing for the life of your tank.
 
Can't wait to see it back up and running-- looks like a tank with loads of potential!
 
I still think your good. Even if it was all dead, which it is not, I would still tell you the same instructions if your goal was to reuse the rock and sand. You could also take out some of your sand and replace it with diver collected real live sand or you could keep your sand and add grunge. Mix the grunge into your sand bed. Insta live sand. I think that would help a lot and put your worries to ease.
 
I also had some live rock in my refugium i.took it out last week to clean the refugium can I just place them back before turning all the equipment?
 
During the hurricane in the summer of 2024, my electricity went out for a week, I was out of country and by the time i got back all live stock had died, I cleaned ad much as I could do and decided not to proceed with the restocking. From time to time I did water changes but nothing massive. Now I would like to do water change and recycle, my question is do I have to take all all the rocks and wash them or just do the complete water change and proceed with the recycle.

Rocks were never taken out they always stayed in the tank with the water in it. Any suggestion would be appreciated
I would Consider pulling all of the substrate out empty the Tank Completely of Water, and immediately refill with new , and start with new , pretty cloudy . Then add Ammonia and check the big three the next day, and decide . For all the effort you will have total peace of mind , and create a starting point by eliminating as much as you can. Of course clean the rock as suggested out of the Tank , and have on standby. Doing all of this Boom Boom Boom
 
Dormant but still salty? undisturbed ? 50% water change. Back up to temp and add cleanup. A couple of teaspoons carbon in a bag,. in the sump, weir, external filter, unavailble? . Then a fine filter bag below a powerhead?
 
Last edited:
I would Consider pulling all of the substrate out empty the Tank Completely of Water, and immediately refill with new , and start with new , pretty cloudy . Then add Ammonia and check the big three the next day, and decide . For all the effort you will have total peace of mind , and create a starting point by eliminating as much as you can. Of course clean the rock as suggested out of the Tank , and have on standby. Doing all of this Boom Boom Boom
unnecessary...Boom Boom 🤣
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new