Question about wrasses for my 125 gallon

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I've recently finished my cycle and started adding fish to my tank. I started with a pair of clowns and 3 firefish. They are all doing well and so I got a lawnmower blenny and royal gramma in qt getting ready to make the move in a few weeks. I plan to add a few wrasses to the tank based on what I have discussed with my LFS. However, I wanted to know from others here, since there seems to be a wealth of wrasse discussion, about mixing the following:

Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Yellow Wrasse
Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse

I've been told they are all peaceful and in my 6 foot long aquarium with ample hiding space they would be able to coexist. Please chip in with your experiences!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I've recently finished my cycle and started adding fish to my tank. I started with a pair of clowns and 3 firefish. They are all doing well and so I got a lawnmower blenny and royal gramma in qt getting ready to make the move in a few weeks. I plan to add a few wrasses to the tank based on what I have discussed with my LFS. However, I wanted to know from others here, since there seems to be a wealth of wrasse discussion, about mixing the following:

Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Yellow Wrasse
Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse

I've been told they are all peaceful and in my 6 foot long aquarium with ample hiding space they would be able to coexist. Please chip in with your experiences!
Great read below:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

OP
OP
AWIL57

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Those are good reads! Thank you for that. It would seem that they should be able to get along. I assume that adding them all at the same time would be the way to go then?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Those are good reads! Thank you for that. It would seem that they should be able to get along. I assume that adding them all at the same time would be the way to go then?
I’m adding wrasses now. I add 2 or 3 at a time after quarantine. Just be careful. My LFS sold me misidentified wrasses that would have been a big problem if I did not get them id’d correctly here. I get mine now from LA. Also be careful about common names. For example, yellow wrasse can mean many things to me. Good luck and have fun.

OP
OP
AWIL57

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you for that advice. Probably best to get second sets of eyes on everything just in case. How big of a quarantine do you put the 2-3 in at a time?

OP
OP
AWIL57

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish and clowns find each other all day. Im sure they will have some interaction.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these should work out fine and there's room for more.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you for that advice. Probably best to get second sets of eyes on everything just in case. How big of a quarantine do you put the 2-3 in at a time?
I use the procedure below. I start in a 10 gallon with copper and medicated food, then move to a 20 gallon for general cure. I could do both in a 10 because I buy small wrasses, but I had the 10 and 20 so I use those.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those 3 species are fine together, and as others said in a 125g there is room for more.

I also echo the concern about 3 firefish together, as they are generally intolerant of each other unless they are a bonded pr.

OP
OP
AWIL57

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the procedure below. I start in a 10 gallon with copper and medicated food, then move to a 20 gallon for general cure. I could do both in a 10 because I buy small wrasses, but I had the 10 and 20 so I use those.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

Thank you for that. I was planning on small ones and have a 10 gallon. Didn't want them to feel too enclosed. I have pvc tunnels for them so they can hide.

OP
OP
AWIL57

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those 3 species are fine together, and as others said in a 125g there is room for more.

I also echo the concern about 3 firefish together, as they are generally intolerant of each other unless they are a bonded pr.

Good to hear. And I have consulted a lot of people on the firefish and the general consensus was that groups of 7-5-3 did best but that with 3, 2 might run one off. However, all 3 swim/hide/eat together so far and they mingle with the clowns too so I am hoping I got lucky.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who did you consult with? Groups working out is the rare exception, rather than the rule.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
AWIL57

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who did you consult with? Groups working out is the rare exception, rather than the rule.

I have several friends who maintain small schools of firefish along with several members of the LFS's near me. I've seen them still working together for over 2 years in my friends tank. He keeps 5 (originally 6) with a clown, watchman goby, and blenny in a 40g. One of the LFS guys has a 29g that is only 7 firefish with his coral and they've been together for 16 months. So hopefully it works for mine as well.

OP
OP
AWIL57

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I perused that one also. You did a heck of a write up! So much info. I didn't notice you were AZ also! I keep trying to get to the F.R.A.G. meetings but have had guests in town each of the last 2. Need to find more people nearby to learn from!
I'm one of a very small handful that keeps FRAG running. ;)
Come on out sometime.

OP
OP
AWIL57

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm one of a very small handful that keeps FRAG running. ;)
Come on out sometime.

I definitely will! I'm still a little bit away from being able to add coral, gotta get those numbers right, but then I will be swinging by for sure!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Choices for Wrasses with room for more, although the Ruby Head is gorgeous they do tend to be a bit shy for my tastes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back