Question about Yellow Pyramid Butterflyfishs, (Hemitaurichthys polylepis)

maggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about Yellow Pyramid Butterflyfishs, (Hemitaurichthys polylepis). I have a 125 gallon, mixed reef. I have one Yellow Pyramid Butterflyfish in my tank for about 3 months now. I would like to add a second. Is this going to be an issue with the butterfly already in my tank? I have read out there on the web, that some sites says they do well as a single fish, others say, need to be kept in pairs/groups. I am looking for a little guidance from those who keep/kept these little guys. Thanks, for all of your replies. Cheers.

slosoak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always added them together, may have some issues with the original already claiming the whole tank.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i started with a group of 3 and lost one due to combined ich/bullying from the other 2. the 2 that i have had now basically ignore eachother.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 3 at one time and never had any aggression problems even during TTM. Maybe use and acclimation box just in case?

pyramid 2.jpg

OP
OP
maggie

maggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, for the replies. I add two of them, at first. They both did well for about a month. Then out of the blue, one stopped eating and died shortly after. So, my plan is to try to put a second one in.

And yes, I always use an acclimation box for just about everything that goes into my tank after QT.

Love the tank @saltyhog!! Looks like we have very similar fish. I'll try to post some pictures. I have never done that one this forum before.

Anyone one else out there could help out?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back