Question - are Aqua UV Sterilizer's considered "Hobby Grade"?

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the world of this hobby, it seems most everyone on these forums are using AquaUV. BRS basically says "hobby grade" is trash but only really touts Pentaire.

I just purchased an AquaUV 25 watt for my 140 gal system and I went with it because of its compact size for mounting reasons - reading so much now that I'm wondering if i didn't think this through (even tho i researched it to death) ;)

Thoughts?

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their ballasts don't seem to last very long, especially at higher wattages. I got like 8 months out of a 57W ballast and I went through about 4 total.

They used to be cheaper than Emperor Aquatics (now Pentair) but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. You're basically paying a premium price for a non-premium product.

Should be much cheaper to replace a Pentair ballast, too.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, non-hobby grade is going to be for large scale public aquariums, municipalities and homes and very expensive. So yes, it maybe 'hobby' grade for home aquariums and ponds. But I've used my AquaUV for 2 years continuously, no leaks, does the job and got a replacement bulb no problem at 15 months. It seems well put together and a quality build. So yeah, hobby grade, but that's fine if still quality to me.

Oh I should add, buying another one before end of year for tank upgrade. I did research Pentair and new model from LifeGuard Aquatics. I think they're all within spitting distance of each other, going with AquaUV again simply because the 57 watt will fit easier in my stand.

Edited: one more quick note, I do think there's a step up to this level from the cheaper brands that seem more gimmicky than effective.

Last edited:

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Aqua UV 57 watt sterilizers in my home systems. They each burn bulbs about once a year. One is horizontal, the other vertical. Our aquatics facilities use 25, 57 and 110 Watt Aqua UV with no issues other than annual bulb replacements. All are vertical with wires at the top. I have only replaced one ballast in more than 10 years in the aquatics facilities and never in 3 years in my home systems.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been using cheap Odyssea uv of dif sizes on multiple tanks for over decade with zero issues. Uses the same bulb as many other name brands, sleeve still in perfect condition. Just change bulb once a year and good to go.
it’s not rocket science.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back