Question for CURRENT Felix Smart users

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering a Felix Smart system that comes with a large aquarium I'm buying. This discussion is aimed art people who ACTUALLY OWN AND USE the Felix Smart. If you've never owned and used one, I highly encourage you to refrain from any disparaging comments here. Thank you.

PLEASE DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE USING THE FELIX SMART SYSTEM.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just making a general comment on the Felix controller overall. Seems to be little to no user experiences with any version of the controller on this forum. Which seems out of the ordinary, as we like trying all different kinds of gadgets and posting about our experiences.
The model we are talking about released summer of 2023. I believe that thread is in reference to their v1 which did seem to pretty much work as advertised from what I can find. I don't understand why they decided to take the route they did but op gets triggered by speaking badly about the company so I'll stop now.

OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just making a general comment on the Felix controller overall. Seems to be little to no user experiences with any version of the controller on this forum. Which seems out of the ordinary, as we like trying all different kinds of gadgets and posting about our experiences.
I agree, but a few Felix owners have posted about it here. I was hoping they'd have something to share, good or bad.
The model we are talking about released summer of 2023. I believe that thread is in reference to their v1 which did seem to pretty much work as advertised from what I can find. I don't understand why they decided to take the route they did but op gets triggered by speaking badly about the company so I'll stop now.
Actually, I wasn't referring to any particular model/generation.

OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine that, just crickets. I will be awaiting your review once you buy it with the used system since you seemed so sure about it in the other thread.
LOL, waiting to pounce, I see.

Well, the seller decided she liked it so much she's moving it to her other tank. No biggie. Now I can look into a new version of Felix Smart, or possibly a Hydros. I'm still getting the rest of her setup at a lower price, and still a great deal. I already own an Apex and it's so-so at best. I was looking forward to the Felix Smart. There's a high probability I'll end up with one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently, the Felix Smart saltwater kits, freshwater kits, terrarium kits, and soil kits are currently sold out. The Felix website is the only place to get them at this point. You can still get the main controller, so I'm guessing they're out of some of the add-on sensors for now. I guess I'll be looking into the Hydros instead. They've been on the market for a while now, the technology is pretty solid, AND they're actually available. I'll be controlling my Radion lights, Vectra return pump, and the VorTech MP40 pumps via the Mobius apps anyway, and probably use the Inkbird controller for the heaters. That pretty much leaves pH monitoring and Ca/Alk dosing, with some room for future controlling and monitoring expansion. Then Hydros Control X4 Aquarium Controller PRO Pack is $660 plus shipping and offers all of the functions I want, plus the HYDROS XP8 Energy Bar is an eight outlet power bar and controller hybrid. I've seen a number of YT videos on the Hydros and I think it's a lot more user-friendly than my Apex.

Still Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own/owned both Apex and Felix Smart,

My kids find the Felix app "IFTT" much easier to use than the Apex, however, I've now taken the Felix off my nano reef and given that job back to the Apex. Why? I love power monitoring and having a display tank side without having to access my phone. With one push of a button on the Apex display, my 14 year old activates feed mode to serve her crabs weekly delicious treats.

The compactness of the Felix is hard to beat though so I chose it to control my Red Sea reef tank at work and it's going great for over 2+ years now but now my personal Felix now manages my friend's micro garden. I have the version that came with the Seneye and the 360 camera and so the Seneye gives us PAR and air temp and the camera allows us to see the leafy greens growing.

Neptune customer support is hard to beat and second to none and I can rely on their ticket system but again the proprietary Apex language has scared my eldest kids from the reef tank, but due to simplicity, my nano reef is pretty much now neglect proof. Only 2 water changes in nearly 3 years and my devils hand leather coral still thrives along with inverts though nitrates are off the charts.

Communication with the Felix team started off very encouraging, but now has room for improvement. Being in Calgary, I've also had the pleasure of meeting Tom, the CEO/Founder and was sold on his vision, though I knew the challenges of every start up, I encouraged him and have nothing bad to say as he did listen to much of my first hand user advice (except power monitoring). Kudos to the Felix for providing a suite of sensors especially Humidity which I've been begging Neptune for since Terrence was around... Tom Listened! now I'm begging Morgan at Neptune who now says maybe I can use the ASM if I find a compatible 0v-5v sensor and attach a BNC connector but I will get no support... This is why I donated the Felix to help my friend feed his family with his micro garden.

Other things off the top of my head about the Felix? Hmmm...The colour changing scrolling lights (which can be turned off) look cool and act as a heads up display when the system looses internet connectivity as it switches from a scrolling blue to white. Bummer that they are low on stock and the suite of sensors, like I can't get an additional pH nor ORP probe as currently almost all kits are also sold out. To be honest, I'm guessing with the economy in Canada affecting retailers, manufacturers and hobbyists, Felix may be in "staying afloat" mode as I haven't even been able to get through to Tom on my most recent few attempts. Hope he makes it through this tough time because I really like the product and have been impressed with the new version released.

In summary, would I buy the Felix saltwater system aka Kai today (if it were available)? Unfortunately No! I just can't justify paying such a high premium i.e. ~C$900 Apex A3 vs C$1,799 for the Kai Saltwater and Neptune's market/product presence is much more consistent and certain. So if I can't find a way to integrate the Atlas Scientific humidity probe into Fusion via the ASM module, I'll stick with my current standalone humidity sensor for my own personal Saltwater Tilapia Micro Garden I'm setting up to feed my family. Tip: Tilapia are euryhaline and are the overlooked gem that I'm using to encourage my friends to get back into the marine hobby - grow saltwater fish that you can eat, not just look at :)

Well, It's a snowy Saturday in Calgary and am gonna go shovel now. Hope this helps...

Still Reefing.

OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, It's a snowy Saturday in Calgary and am gonna go shovel now. Hope this helps...
Ha. Here in Fairbanks it's already beginning to thaw. Weird for March. Local warming?

Thanks for the feedback. Since the seller absconded with her Felix Smart, and the available stock is zero, I'm considering alternatives. I don't want another Apex, so I'm investigating Hydros.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back