Question for the Acrylic Guys

H2OEng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got no experience working with acrylic so I've got a question for those of you that do. How difficult is it to replace the back panel on a euro braced acrylic tank? It's a standard 120 gal tank, panel is 4x2. It's currently drilled for a CL which would be fine except two of the bulkheads are to high for what I'm looking to do with it. I'm going with a c2c overflow on this tank...

How clean would it look after the "repair"? Any issues with the euro bracing and replacing the back panel? I wouldn't be doing this myself; I will find someone local with a bit more experience working with acrylic...

trickedout900

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think you would be challenged to replace a panel on a used tank. Once an acrylic tank is filled with water it bows unless it's super thick.. Odds are it would be hard to get good clean straight lines. You could attempt to patch the holes with smaller panels though and even cut circles the size of the whole and fill it in if you are crafty. I'm no expert but that is my two cents. Good luck with the build/repair.

OP
OP
H

H2OEng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, that's pretty much what I thought. I spoke with GlassCages this morning about getting a quote on one built to my spec (120 gal, 3 sided starphire with a C2C OF). Dealing with the potential issues isn't worth what I may be able to save on the acrylic tank.

trickedout900

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always turn the acrylic tank into a sump or a frag tank, but I think you made a wise choice in not trying to replace the back.

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U cant take the back off the tank is warped. All acrylics warp once eaters been in them for a while.But to patch the holes is possible and easy.Youtube acrylic glueing. I did it on an old sump that had holes for a external pump. I used a little acylic and some weld on 16 and glues a inside peice and outside just to be on the safe side. It lasted for 2 years before I sold the sump.

JPG@CFI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use Weld On 16. It shrinks too much. Get ahold of some Weld On 40. It is 2 part, but will be much stronger than 16. Patch her up and move on. J

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back