Question for the amazeballs goni experts..

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
This is the 4th amazeballs Goni iv added to my system and they look great for the first month and then close up and I never see them again
I have 29 other gonis that are just fine
I have placed them in different flow and different intensity of lighting and they all end up the same way
Very confusing so figured I’d resort to asking the experts of r2r

First two pics was my latest one for the first month and the second pic has been the last month or so

IMG_6166.jpeg IMG_6165.jpeg IMG_6169.jpeg

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not a Goni expert so take this with a grain of salt but I’ve kept 5 different ones and they’re still alive. All of them looked like that a month in or so and they came back just by me changing it to lower flow and lower light for about a couple months and they come back. I’ve had a red Goni that half died and still came back.

They’re finicky but don’t like changes, I’m sure you’re dosing some manganese in this system with a lot of gonis ? If not I would maybe check what it’s at, water changes should bring most of it up but gonis love it

Hope it comes back, great piece

tath34ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same thing happen to me and found out that my chaeto in my sump was consuming manganese in my water. It’s something that all gonis need. So I started dosing chaetogrow for its trace minerals and also manganese and iron. Now my skeleton gonis are 90% extended

nycfreshreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat (currently have 15 different gonis all of them are happy) but cannot keep amazeballs it’s the strangest thing. I am currently on my 3rd amazeballs frag and it’s now been closed for almost a month. They always look amazing the first month but then close completely. I have tried every different flow / lighting etc , just don’t understand it.

The last Goni frag I was able to bring it back by giving it up flow and feeding it every single day for a few weeks , it eventually extended to 50% or so but lost all its color … it had been overtaken by algae while closed and lose most of its flesh. And it eventually closed up again so I tossed it when getting a new Goni frag.

I wish someone who farms this finicky strain would see this thread and give us the secret to amazeballs lol.

Attachments

• A3444BC9-0AB5-423A-92F7-EC33C217E985.jpeg
    A3444BC9-0AB5-423A-92F7-EC33C217E985.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
Reefing.with.Rich

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I am in the same boat (currently have 15 different gonis all of them are happy) but cannot keep amazeballs it’s the strangest thing. I am currently on my 3rd amazeballs frag and it’s now been closed for almost a month. They always look amazing the first month but then close completely. I have tried every different flow / lighting etc , just don’t understand it.

The last Goni frag I was able to bring it back by giving it up flow and feeding it every single day for a few weeks , it eventually extended to 50% or so but lost all its color … it had been overtaken by algae while closed and lose most of its flesh. And it eventually closed up again so I tossed it when getting a new Goni frag.

I wish someone who farms this finicky strain would see this thread and give us the secret to amazeballs lol.
Thankfully mine has opened back up and has been for a month now so that’s a good sign lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back