Question on Apex Auto Water Change

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve set up my auto water change with Apex and an Apex doser. I’ve been doing a trial run so I can build up some confidence in it. Right now I’ve got it set up for 4000 ml a day (one gallon) and I give it an hour to do it. Apex makes 3 five minute runs (1332 ml each) with 20 minutes between each run. Seems to work well and the in flow and out flow match up well. I was warned that it will be loud running both sides that fast, and yes, quite loud.

I eventually want to get up to about a little over 10% a week which would, if I did my math right, be about 3 gallons a day. My question is how long a period in hours would be best. If I spread it out over say 5 hours, will Apex still run those high speed 5 minute drills or will it use more runs at a slower tempo (hopefully lowering the noise lever and not over working the dosers)? what is the way to do this correctly.

Jetson

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have mine doing awc 24 hours a day but I do think it's every 10 min then lol. Also at 3 gallons per day like you want to do. It will spread them out to lower and slower doses I believe. My sump is in the basement though so the noise hasn't been a concern. A lot of folks have them run while they sleep or at work when noise is of concern. They are built for quite a bit of use/work when needed, I wouldnt worry about over stressing it too much.. Either way, best of luck :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Zach

I’ll spread the time out and see how it does. Unfortunately, the only way I could set this up was to have all the equipment behind the DT. Only other option was the garage and I’d have to install an A/C there. Gets up to 110 degree in there in the afternoon.. sunny Florida here. RO is out there, but my saltwater storage tank in plumbed in a closet close to the DT. That way there’s no temperature problem.

I’ll give the 3 gallon a day a try. Corals are going in next month so it’s time to ramp up.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back