Question on Dividing Red Sea Reefer 170 Sump

WallysWorld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on dividing the main compartment of my Red Sea Reefer 170 Sump to make room for a refugium. I'm planning on using a perforated acrylic sheet held in place with suction cup holders. This way its not permanent. I'm looking to grow some macro algae and provide a home for pods.

Would it be better to have water flow to the skimmer section before the refugium or after? Or does it matter?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on dividing the main compartment of my Red Sea Reefer 170 Sump to make room for a refugium. I'm planning on using a perforated acrylic sheet held in place with suction cup holders. This way its not permanent. I'm looking to grow some macro algae and provide a home for pods.

Would it be better to have water flow to the skimmer section before the refugium or after? Or does it matter?
I don't feel it matters much. It is likely a little better for growing algae if it is before the skimmer. I worry about the skimmer sucking in pods so I prefer mine after the skimmer. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did the same. Purchased an acrylic sheet from Home Depot, slightly cut the length down to fit right into the skimmer area, no suction cups or anything else needed and it’s removable. Drilled slot of holes in it for flow.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.5%
Back