Question on feeding in a NANO tank

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently set up a 20g nano tank in my office, and currently have only a single fish residing in it (Orchid Dottyback).

My question is more of a logistical nature. How do you guys manage fresh/frozen foods for a single fish?

I do not want to overfeed my tank, yet my lfs only sells frozen foods in blister-pack cubes. One cube is WAY more than I can use in a day, and it is too expensive to waste that much unused food.

I am currently feeding Hikari Marine -S- pellets, but want to add some variety in the form of fresh/frozen foods.

Suggestions or ideas on managing feeding with a single, or few, fish?

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just shave a little off and refreeze the rest of the cube. One cube should be able to last a few weeks at least with such a small fish to feed.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perspective, I feed once every other day, a dwarf lionfish juvenile, a clownfish, and a blue damsel about 1/8th of a cube, with the lionfish getting ghost shrimp or silversides twice a week.

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add some clean up crew if you haven't already. I've had good luck with shrimp in a small tank. I have a reefer 170 which is bout 40 gallon total with only two fish which I feed frozen twice a day. A blood red fire shrimp and a few hermits do a good job in there. I have had skunk cleaners, and coral banded also and they did well. Shrimp are cool in a nano too IMO. I buy flats of frozen then just cut it all up and freeze in a zipock bag.

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently set up a 20g nano tank in my office, and currently have only a single fish residing in it (Orchid Dottyback).

My question is more of a logistical nature. How do you guys manage fresh/frozen foods for a single fish?

I do not want to overfeed my tank, yet my lfs only sells frozen foods in blister-pack cubes. One cube is WAY more than I can use in a day, and it is too expensive to waste that much unused food.

I am currently feeding Hikari Marine -S- pellets, but want to add some variety in the form of fresh/frozen foods.

I have a few fish and I feed frozen once a week if not less. I try and feed pellets and baby brine to keep nutrients down? But I chop op my frozen into tiny cubes and keep it in a Tupperware in the fridge.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I put a splash of r/o water in a cup and chip 4 to 5 days worth of food off of a cube into it. Then, I keep the container in the fridge. I use an 1/8 tsp measuring spoon and add one scoop per fish to the tank, daily. 1/8 tsp = 1 ml

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed every other day or so but I think we are all guilty of over feeding sometimes especially in a nano it’s hard lol. You can also buy defroster cups and feeding rings.
I do have this frozen food feeder from Innovative Marine. Its a little large for my tank, but hopefully it will work well.

1660138997455.png

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add some clean up crew if you haven't already. I've had good luck with shrimp in a small tank. I have a reefer 170 which is bout 40 gallon total with only two fish which I feed frozen twice a day. A blood red fire shrimp and a few hermits do a good job in there. I have had skunk cleaners, and coral banded also and they did well. Shrimp are cool in a nano too IMO. I buy flats of frozen then just cut it all up and freeze in a zipock bag.
Awesome! I am headed to the LFS today, so I will see what they have. I was told not to add CUC too soon, or they could starve...

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few fish and I feed frozen once a week if not less. I try and feed pellets and baby brine to keep nutrients down? But I chop op my frozen into tiny cubes and keep it in a Tupperware in the fridge.
I've read that it is easy to overfeed pellets, since they are so nutrient dense...but they are also SOO convenient! :)

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I am headed to the LFS today, so I will see what they have. I was told not to add CUC too soon, or they could starve...
This is true for critters that eat mostly algae like hermits, bad suggestion I guess. I think shrimp would be fine as they will eat pretty much any meaty food like mysis etc. Mine eat everything, even pellets and flake.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.5%
Back