Question on Herbie

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 overflows in the tank. Both have siphons, both have the same function. Both weirs are the same height. And in case I wasn't clear, siphons are 12" below water line in tank/overflow, 1" below water line in sump.

Ok. I think I understand better. If you have two overflows -- is there a third pipe in one of them that serves as the emergency.

Are your valves completely opened? I only get trickle down the emergency when something is is going on with the primary drains (partially blocked, etc.).

Attachments

• bean-animal-2.jpg
    bean-animal-2.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 32

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video helps. The gurgling is from too much water going down the trickle/emergency. When too much water goes down that drain, it pulls excess air with it and causes the noise you are hearing. Open up the gate valve more to allow more water to go down the siphon.

I also would make the trickle/emergency a little longer, but that's not what is causing the gurgling.

Ok. I think I understand better. If you have two overflows -- is there a third pipe in one of them that serves as the emergency.

Are your valves completely opened? I only get trickle down the emergency when something is is going on with the primary drains (partially blocked, etc.).
According to the OP, s/he has a Herbie (2 drains per everflow), not Bean (3 drains).

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or -- if both gate valves are already fully open, then you will need to reduce the flow rate from the return pump.

(side note -- why would you need two emergency drains -- even if they were in different overflows? -- just asking?).

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video helps. The gurgling is from too much water going down the trickle/emergency. When too much water goes down that drain, it pulls excess air with it and causes the noise you are hearing. Open up the gate valve more to allow more water to go down the siphon.

I also would make the trickle/emergency a little longer, but that's not what is causing the gurgling.

According to the OP, s/he has a Herbie (2 drains per everflow), not Bean (3 drains).
When I open up the gate valves on the siphons more, then the height of the water in the overflow drops and doesn't reach the siphons. I've been trying to find a balance to have the water in the overflows wind up between the siphons and emergency to no avail.
Correct on the type of overflow. Herbie not bean. 2 overflows: 1 siphon, 1 emergency and 1 return in each overflow.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or -- if both gate valves are already fully open, then you will need to reduce the flow rate from the return pump.

(side note -- why would you need two emergency drains -- even if they were in different overflows? -- just asking?).
If one of the siphons gets blocked, the other overflow with a siphon/emergency would probably not be able to handle the volume and the blocked overflow would overflow.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if I can come up with some type of cover for the open emergency standpipes. Cause when I put my hand over them they are quiet as can be. So it’s just the sound of the water emanating out.

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one of the siphons gets blocked, the other overflow with a siphon/emergency would probably not be able to handle the volume and the blocked overflow would overflow.
I would think the level would go up in both overflows and an emergency in either overflow would take over. Seems ok to me but just extra work to put in the extra line.

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of gate valve are you using? That seems like it is changing the rate very quickly. Do you have a Spears valve or a regular HD single turn valve?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally on a Herbie you should make your overflow a Durso with a U-bend (or two 90's), with a small vent hole on top for anti-siphon and submerge the inlet end of the U-bend under the water level to silence the flow. The bottom of the U-bend sets the height in the overflow. I can't tell, but if you just have a open ended overflow (like a Bean emergency), it is going to make a lot of noise. That is what is sounds like. The Durso will be much quieter.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a durso on the open channel to make it quiet. Mine is completely open. There should be only a small amount going down the open channel. OP has too much water going down the trickle, and that causes noise.

You need to have less water going down the trickle. Open the gate valve more, but just barely.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***** Open pipes about 6" height difference between siphon & emergency. Emergency close to or same height as top of weir.
Herbies can be 'finicky" but work well. 6 years here & still adjust sporadically, mostly I just let it run.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw an elbow and a street elbow together to make a couple of u-tubes. Drill a hole on top of them. Install them on your secondary trickle lines in each box. As @DCR mentioned above, the bottom of the horizontal run on the upside down U-tube will set the water level in your weir boxes. Using these U-tubes will silence your secondary trickle lines.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a durso on the open channel to make it quiet. Mine is completely open. There should be only a small amount going down the open channel. OP has too much water going down the trickle, and that causes noise.

You need to have less water going down the trickle. Open the gate valve more, but just barely.
Yes, will have to make more subtle adjustments to see if that fixes things.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally on a Herbie you should make your overflow a Durso with a U-bend (or two 90's), with a small vent hole on top for anti-siphon and submerge the inlet end of the U-bend under the water level to silence the flow. The bottom of the U-bend sets the height in the overflow. I can't tell, but if you just have a open ended overflow (like a Bean emergency), it is going to make a lot of noise. That is what is sounds like. The Durso will be much quieter.
Was thinking about doing something like this. Because when I cover the open top it’s dead quiet. Maybe further adjustments and this ^

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw an elbow and a street elbow together to make a couple of u-tubes. Drill a hole on top of them. Install them on your secondary trickle lines in each box. As @DCR mentioned above, the bottom of the horizontal run on the upside down U-tube will set the water level in your weir boxes. Using these U-tubes will silence your second atp ry trickle lines.
Yes, will see about this as an option if I can’t dial it in with smaller flow changes. Do I need to trim the emergency standpipes to account for the additional height the elbows will add?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, will see about this as an option if I can’t dial it in with smaller flow changes. Do I need to trim the emergency standpipes to account for the additional height the elbows will add?

Yes

Back