Question on Herbie

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, I am also running a Herbie. You can see the secondary trickle line with the hole drilled atop the U-tube. My Herbie is dead silent and I am pushing a lot of flow.

7B6119F4-6634-4E92-B0CC-6E81762ADA0F.jpeg

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should ask. Was going to reply back to this group since you were all great at offering advice
Turns out it was user error. I was making gate valve adjustments that were too much.
To start, I adjusted the gate valve to the point where I had each emergency drain with a decent amount of flow going through it. Similar to the way I had it. So it obviously was noisy. Like before.
Then, exercising extreme patience and a gentle hand, I made very minute changes to the gate valves to slightly increase the flow down the siphon and lessen it down the emergencies. I got comfortable doing this from the fish room realizing that the tank wouldn’t overflow. I kept tweaking until I literally had a trickle and sputter coming out of the emergencies. Went back upstairs and voila. Dead silent. I had to check to make sure water was actually going down.
Thanks for all the ideas and your experiences. It helped me reach a zen-like experience in my family room. :)

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should ask. Was going to reply back to this group since you were all great at offering advice
Turns out it was user error. I was making gate valve adjustments that were too much.
To start, I adjusted the gate valve to the point where I had each emergency drain with a decent amount of flow going through it. Similar to the way I had it. So it obviously was noisy. Like before.
Then, exercising extreme patience and a gentle hand, I made very minute changes to the gate valves to slightly increase the flow down the siphon and lessen it down the emergencies. I got comfortable doing this from the fish room realizing that the tank wouldn’t overflow. I kept tweaking until I literally had a trickle and sputter coming out of the emergencies. Went back upstairs and voila. Dead silent. I had to check to make sure water was actually going down.
Thanks for all the ideas and your experiences. It helped me reach a zen-like experience in my family room. :)
Congrats.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, I am also running a Herbie. You can see the secondary trickle line with the hole drilled atop the U-tube. My Herbie is dead silent and I am pushing a lot of flow.

7B6119F4-6634-4E92-B0CC-6E81762ADA0F.jpeg
Not to derail the thread, but doesn’t putting on end caps like that affect the efficiency of the emergency drain? And eliminating those surface junks/floaties?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to derail the thread, but doesn’t putting on end caps like that affect the efficiency of the emergency drain? And eliminating those surface junks/floaties?

I set up my Modular Marine Herbie to run quietly, first and foremost. The U-tubes on my drain lines work very well for that purpose. I’m not worried about the floaties at all. They will settle out and I’m running filter socks on the other end.

As far as the U-tube affecting the efficiency of the emergency drain, it really has no effect at all in my experience. When I set up the system, I simulated a clog in the full siphon primary drain by fully closing off the gate valve. The secondary trickle drain had no issues acting as the emergency line and handled all of the flow without skipping a beat.

The way I’m set up is essentially like a Beananimal without the emergency open channel.

45A062BB-913B-4B98-80B3-2541C25C4DD7.jpeg

Last edited:

jschottenfeld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping in for a minute..

I'm in the process of setting up my new Modular Marine overflow. Was very surprised that I will need to cut the 2" bulkheads in order to make room for the 1-1/2" U and durso. Poor planning in my mind by MM since cutting a 2" bulkhead without messing up the threads is no easy task. I asked a friend with a high end cabinet shop to cut for me.

If my sump is in the basement, should I have the gate valve downstairs by my sump or upstairs just below the overflow box? I understand having it upstairs will make it much easier to see the effects that slight changes have on the noise, but I was wondering if there will be a bubbling noise at the location of the gate valve.

Trying to make everything quiet as possible.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basement. Much quieter. It’s kinda a pain when first dialing it in (I musta done about 5 miles up and down) but once you do the quiet is worth it.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I’ve never run a basement sump, I always prefer to have the gate valve right before the sump. It will make purging the full siphon line much easier.

jschottenfeld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basement. Much quieter. It’s kinda a pain when first dialing it in (I musta done about 5 miles up and down) but once you do the quiet is worth it.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Pain in the butt initially, but once set it's probably set and forget....and much quieter

jschottenfeld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can order short stem bulkheads...

It was MM's suggestion to cut the bulkhead. Didn't know that they sold shortys!

The tolerance of space that I have to work with in between the tightened nut, while giving room for the 1-1/2" elbow was pretty close. I would doubt that the shorty would hit that spot dead on.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I was thinking. Pain in the butt initially, but once set it's probably set and forget....and much quieter
And make your adjustments in very small increments. A slight turn of the gate valve, like 1/4” can have the desired results.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back