question on how to deal with the back portion of glass on a large tank

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my wife cook dinner, after she messed that up I took a knife and scraped the burnt pan for a couple hours. I then took some Elmer’s glue and spread that on the glass with a butter knife and proceeded to put the burnt stuff on the back.

Not a professional job, but it did the trick. I just have a few spots I need to touch up. I’m in no rush though, I try and have her avoid the kitchen.
I think I married your wife's sister! Lol

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used black vinyl like of people have mentioned. If you ever decide to change out for a different color or background it just peels off.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On other tanks I have also used thin plastic sheets from tap plastics that come in a variety of colors. If it's a rimmed tank you can perfectly cut the sheet with a pair of scissors to fit snuggly between the rims

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use black construction paper from WalMart at 97 cents each. This way (especially since my tank is a peninsula style) I can remove the color without chemicals and/or scraping. Been doing tis for years and they fit right underneath tank trim for secureness to tank. Here is effect

360nnn.jpg

OP
OP
noahreefer

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys I think I’m going to go with the black vinyl or the construction paper. I should have a build thread up hopefully soon

SFKINNC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used printed waterproof plastic aquarium backgrounds on some of my tanks. I have never painted the back of a tank. When I want the back of a tank to be black, I tape a layer or two of plastic cut from a black trash bag. It’s cheap, easy, doesn’t give off paint fumes, and is easily removable.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spray paint the back of my tanks with Krylon Fusion. It adheres to glass really well and doesn't chip easily, something I found annoying with other paints.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back