Question on kalk with 2 part

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had recently started dosing kalk based off PH, but ran into a couple scenarios that made me want to go a bit more conservative, so just started dosing a set amount of kalk between 9:00pm-9:00am. Enough to maintain a .5dkh daily drop. Due to the fact that I’m dosing the entire daily Alk drop at night, I’d like to offset this by dosing 2 part during the day, and have landed on ESV B-Ionic calcium buffer system. Just want to make sure I’m thinking correctly here-

due to the amount of kalk I’m dosing during the night for the entire days alk drop, is it same to assume I should cut that in half and maintain a .25dkh drop, and then calculate 2 part based on the remaining .25dkh drop during the daytime hours… I understand this will just be a starting point but just want to make sure I’m at least pointed in the right direction.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had recently started dosing kalk based off PH, but ran into a couple scenarios that made me want to go a bit more conservative, so just started dosing a set amount of kalk between 9:00pm-9:00am. Enough to maintain a .5dkh daily drop. Due to the fact that I’m dosing the entire daily Alk drop at night, I’d like to offset this by dosing 2 part during the day, and have landed on ESV B-Ionic calcium buffer system. Just want to make sure I’m thinking correctly here-

due to the amount of kalk I’m dosing during the night for the entire days alk drop, is it same to assume I should cut that in half and maintain a .25dkh drop, and then calculate 2 part based on the remaining .25dkh drop during the daytime hours… I understand this will just be a starting point but just want to make sure I’m at least pointed in the right direction.

That seems like a fine plan, yes.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be missing something but if your daily demand is 0.5 dkh and you are dosing 0.75 dkh per day our alk is gong to climb at a 0.25 dkh per day rate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy- is this a better approach than dosing kalk around the clock? I feel like PH will get fairly high during the day…

I would not worry about excessive pH unless you measured it to be so. i dosed much more than 1 dKH per day on a 24/7 schedule and the pH did not get too high as long as my skimmer was running.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be missing something but if your daily demand is 0.5 dkh and you are dosing 0.75 dkh per day our alk is gong to climb at a 0.25 dkh per day rate.
I’m currently dosing kalk for .5dkh- that will get cut in half to .25dkh at night, and will dose 2 part for .25dkh during the day.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about excessive pH unless you measured it to be so. i dosed much more than 1 dKH per day on a 24/7 schedule and the pH did not get too high as long as my skimmer was running.
Any large pros/cons to 24/7 kalk dosing vs kalk at night and 2 part at day?

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 part and kalk 247. My ph rises to 8.4 during the day the highest and that level is best for coral growth. My alkalinity and calcium consumption went through the roof.

Pros I noticed.
Use less calcium and alkalinity because kalkwasser is cheap I can make 80 gallons of kalk with 20$ bottle.
2 part is more expensive so I use a little bit of it so I think it saves me good money.
Raises PH

Cons

Takes more skill to dial in both but is very possible just take your time.

This is based on my expirence and I have a very small system. I think this would work amazing on 40-100 gallons systems and much easier to dial in and would save you lots of money because you need more supplements for large systems.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The advantage to night dosing is pH stabilization.

The advantage to day dosing is alk stabilization.

The advantage to 24/7 dosing by ato is ease of use.

None of them are clearly best.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back