Question on Mixing Tanks

maginter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All -

I hope it is OK that I posted in this area.

I have a 100 gallon RODI/Mixing tank. I only have one tank because of space constraints. It is in the garage as well, so I have to clean it out occasionally to prevent mold. I know this is not ideal, but it is what I have. When I cleaned it out yesterday, I noticed that there is a build up of a hard salt film on the bottom. So I have several questions that I need advise on.

1) Knowing that I am adding to much salt at once when making exchange water, how are you all adding salt so that it mixes well and is all dissolved?

2) How do I remove the hard salt film on the bottom of the tank? I tried scrubbing it with my brush, but that didn't work and was difficult to reach because of the depth. Power wash?

3) I have attached a picture of my setup for RODI/Mixing. Any suggestion to improve my setup are appreciated.

TIA for your time and assistance.

Mark

20210620_140147.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be completely wrong, but will a build-up of undissolved salt really hurt anything? It was meant to go into your aquarium (though it never made it, Lol!), so it’s not like it’s a poison. Just as long as you are aware of the salinity of the water coming out and it’s correct— meaning it didn’t suddenly dissolve in a batch of water and you didn’t realize it— why try to scrub it out?

Someone please correct me if I’m way off base.

OP
OP
maginter

maginter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be completely wrong, but will a build-up of undissolved salt really hurt anything? It was meant to go into your aquarium (though it never made it, Lol!), so it’s not like it’s a poison. Just as long as you are aware of the salinity of the water coming out and it’s correct— meaning it didn’t suddenly dissolve in a batch of water and you didn’t realize it— why try to scrub it out?

Someone please correct me if I’m way off base.
Thanks for the reply.

My biggest concern would be salinity creep. Since this is my main tank for RODI water as well, I have not other mains of storing water if my salinity starts going up.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about. Mine gets a light brown film as I am sure a lot of peoples do. I have been told the brown film is from an anti clumping agent in the salt mix. As far as mixing I just scoop one cup at a time in with the pump on full blast and it seems dissolves right away . What kind of salt do you use?

OP
OP
maginter

maginter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about. Mine gets a light brown film as I am sure a lot of peoples do. I have been told the brown film is from an anti clumping agent in the salt mix. As far as mixing I just scoop one cup at a time in with the pump on full blast and it seems dissolves right away . What kind of salt do you use?
It is a light brown film. I use Fritz Blue Box

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I think I follow you better now. Because it doubles as your tank for “pure/clean” RODI, what if it does start to dissolve when you are trying to get 0.000 water, right? Well I think the salt residue in the tank at any given time would probably be negligible, unless it is becoming thick and actually caked on. In which case, get a long clean wooden broom handle and break it up rather than trying to brush it. But really, given the size and shape of your tank, a nice power head should dissolve most of the salt— just dump in your salt more gradually over the course of 15 minutes to a 1/2 hour; don’t try a 50-pound salt dump! Lol.

OP
OP
maginter

maginter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I think I follow you better now. Because it doubles as your tank for “pure/clean” RODI, what if it does start to dissolve when you are trying to get 0.000 water, right? Well I think the salt residue in the tank at any given time would probably be negligible, unless it is becoming thick and actually caked on. In which case, get a long clean wooden broom handle and break it up rather than trying to brush it. But really, given the size and shape of your tank, a nice power head should dissolve most of the salt— just dump in your salt more gradually over the course of 15 minutes to a 1/2 hour; don’t try a 50-pound salt dump! Lol.
Yes, when trying to get 0.0000 water Typically I have been adding probably 4-5 cups ever 3-4 hours. I just think I need to lessen the amount and maybe do that amount every 2 hours.

OP
OP
maginter

maginter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Blue bucket does the same light brown film. Some one else my chime it but from what I am told its from the anti clumping agent in the mix and don't worry about it. That's how it is made.
That is good to know. Thanks!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should ask, rather than assume, but when you are adding your salt, you do have your pump churning the whole time, right? If so, and that alone isn’t working for you, I’d cut a hole in your black plastic lid just big enough for an electrical plug to squeeze through, and dangle a big Sicce powerhead 3/4 the way down into your tank from the cord. I think between your pump circulating, and that, you’re as good as it’s going to get. And again, sprinkle the salt, in smaller batches over time. :)

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F6C9FCC1-E50A-469D-9097-E9191707E37F.jpeg

PS: You mentioned space limitations. Just trying to be helpful— if you ever want to add a second tank to your system, these are 70 gallon “horizontal leg” tanks, and they fit perfectly inside these very strong workbenches (ordered through Sam’s Club). So if your garage needs a workbench anyway... Lol! Best wishes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maginter

maginter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should ask, rather than assume, but when you are adding your salt, you do have your pump churning the whole time, right? If so, and that alone isn’t working for you, I’d cut a hole in your black plastic lid just big enough for an electrical plug to squeeze through, and dangle a big Sicce powerhead 3/4 the way down into your tank from the cord. I think between your pump circulating, and that, you’re as good as it’s going to get. And again, sprinkle the salt, in smaller batches over time. :)
Yes, the pump cycling water to the top is running the whole time from the time I start mixing until I remove the mixed water.
That is a good suggestion. I do have a extra pump

OP
OP
maginter

maginter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F6C9FCC1-E50A-469D-9097-E9191707E37F.jpeg

PS: You mentioned space limitations. Just trying to be helpful— if you ever want to add a second tank to your system, these are 70 gallon “horizontal leg” tanks, and theY fit perfectly inside these very strong workbenches (ordered through Sam’s Club). So if your garage needs a workbench anyway... Lol! Best wishes.
I have thought about that, but right now, the space you see in the picture is all I have right now.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get another single canister and put a sediment filter in it with a pump to run the water in your holding tank through the filter and back and just let it run after mixing up a batch. I would personally clean the tank the next chance I got, but I just lIke keeping things as clean as possible.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

My biggest concern would be salinity creep. Since this is my main tank for RODI water as well, I have not other mains of storing water if my salinity starts going up.
I don’t understand this concern. Before you add it to your display you check salinity. If it is off you correct it first.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had not cleaned my salt mixing container ( I use a 20 gallon buddeez pet food container) in like 4 years and nothing is wrong. I use reef Crystal's so it has a lot of that brown sludge.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - switched to Tropic Marin Pro salt From Red Sea Pro and no longer get brown film in my mixing container. Little more expensive but having to disassemble and clean my mixing station is a real pain.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a page from @SuncrestReef and dump some water in a 5 gal bucket and mix 10 or so cups and let us dissolve and then dump that bucket into the mixing container, then I do it again until my salinity is close to where I want it. From their I may add a few cups directly to the container to get the proper salinity. I have 2 of the same 100 gal containers on my mixing station. On my mixing tank I ran a 1 in line to the bottom with tee and a 90 installed to help prevent any settling in the tank with I turn my mixing pump on. If you have a hard salt mat bar the bottom and scrubbing didn’t break it loose, then I would think hot, not boiling, water will help break it down.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back