question on new mp40’s

Tgould

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just brought two new MP40’s online tonight. I put them both in constant flow mode at 100%. After about 15 minutes one of them shutdown and blinked green/red.
After looking at it I realized how much hotter this pump was compared to its partner. Much hotter. I unplugged the problem pump, plugged it back in and turned down to about 50% flow. It has been running fine since but is still noticeably hotter than the other. Is this normal? Should I not run them at 100% right out the box? The other pump seems fine.
I’m more curious about the difference in the two pumps. Seems they should run pretty close to the same.
Any thoughts?

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. They should run close to the same in my experience. Is the dry side lined up with the wet side and are you using the correct spacers on the dry side? There should be no vibration from the dry side. Sometimes if the sides aren’t lined up the dry side will run hotter than normal. You may want to try rotating the wet side if you’re having difficulty lining the sides up without any vibration. I’ve never run my MP40s at 100% constant, but I would think that they should be able to run at 100% without shutting down. I’ve run my smaller MP10s at 100% without any problems.

Last edited:

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im more interested you running MP40s at 100%

Dear lord, your fish must be pinned against a wall or smthg

I've had my 40s for 10+ years.... pointed straight at each other coast2coast.

I put my hand on the dryside to verify theres no vibration. Or as quiet as possible.

Over time the wet and the dry will click-into one another.

But if one is hot, that's a malfunction and you need to adjust. That's not normal

OP
OP
T

Tgould

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im more interested you running MP40s at 100%

Dear lord, your fish must be pinned against a wall or smthg

I've had my 40s for 10+ years.... pointed straight at each other coast2coast.

I put my hand on the dryside to verify theres no vibration. Or as quiet as possible.

Over time the wet and the dry will click-into one another.

But if one is hot, that's a malfunction and you need to adjust. That's not normal
Lol, no there’s no fish yet. New tank. And it’s an 8’ tank. Just started them up that way to get things churning. There’s actually more going in lol

OP
OP
T

Tgould

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. They should run close to the same in my experience. Is the dry side lined up with the wet side and are you using the correct spacers on the dry side? There should be no vibration from the dry side. Sometimes if the sides aren’t lined up the dry side will run hotter than normal. You may want to try rotating the wet side if you’re having difficulty lining the sides up without any vibration. I’ve never run my MP40s at 100% constant, but I would think that they should be able to run at 100% without shutting down. I’ve run my smaller MP10s at 100% without any problems.
I actually called eco tech about the spacer thing. My sides are the ever questionable 1/2” lol.
Ecotech told me to just use the gaskets.
however, the pump did have a little vibration to it. A bit more than the opposite side. I moved the wet side around a bit but didn’t rely get better. It’s not bad, no noise just a slight vibration to the touch. I’m gonna ramp it back up since it’s been running quite well at 50% for the last couple hours.
Never had vortechs so was just curious as to them running a bit hot, and of course, why it shut down in the first place.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually called eco tech about the spacer thing. My sides are the ever questionable 1/2” lol.
Ecotech told me to just use the gaskets.
however, the pump did have a little vibration to it. A bit more than the opposite side. I moved the wet side around a bit but didn’t rely get better. It’s not bad, no noise just a slight vibration to the touch. I’m gonna ramp it back up since it’s been running quite well at 50% for the last couple hours.
Never had vortechs so was just curious as to them running a bit hot, and of course, why it shut down in the first place.
i have the same issue with heat. my wet side clanks, like the magnet is loose inside when i rotate it in my hand but works just fine. i only run it at 100% 5 times a day for 5 min the rest of the time on lights on its between reef crest and 50% flow and tidal swell at night.

but when it is on 100% for longer than 10-15 min it seems very hot and the only reason i dont leave it on 100% longer than 10-15 min in my system, i am afraid to burn up 350$ in the first year....but yes it is very hot on 100% im curious how many actually run 100% and notice the heat issue, its a great powerhead for me no issues just the same concern..

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems problems with the internal bearings, it is solved by changing them, but this in old pumps and without warranty, if your pump is new, request a change, and just to rule out I would change the dry sides to verify that this is not the problem.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back