Question on overflow boxes

Forkedwizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm quite new here, just bought a 40g and going to use an old 29g for a sump. Planning on doing a build thread soonish, but I'm still in the design and research phase. Still don't know what I plan on keeping, so I don't know how to design my flow, place rocks/caves, etc.

Anyways, I hate any equipment in an aquarium and would like mine to have as little as possible. I'm thinking at most a wave maker (1-2) and some strainers.

My plan so far is to drill the tank, and put small strainers inside in the tank on the 2 drain holes (1") and leaving the 3/4" returns (2 of them) with nothing. This is what I'm considering buying.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/low-profile-bulkhead-overflow-strainers.html
This comes with some concerns, such as noise and efficiency. Since I wont have a herbie or those other overflow designs that reduce sound.

Is this plan feasible? Will the tank make a constant waterfall sound?

I had another idea of putting an small overflow box on the outside of the tank and plumping as usual. I've read in a few forums / threads that this is doable.

Looking for any advice or tips.

Thanks.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! On a 40 breeder I would highly recommend the Eshopps Eclipse S overflow. Used one on mine for a few years and loved it. Plumbed it Herbie style and never had an issue. It's a complete kit that even comes with the drill bit.
Wtr2r10.gif
#WelcometoR2R

Script_Kitty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A7555AFB-E3C7-4C15-9EAF-BF363052FE12.jpeg
I am in the process of converting my old bio cube.

I upgraded out of it a little while ago, and it has been sitting there mocking me.

I had already converted it to have an over the top typo overflow going down to a sump. But with it now empty (and mocking me). I decided to try drilling it.

Although the over the top worked, i was always nervous about it. I also wanted to go bean-animal on it because thats what my new tank had, and i like the quietness and security.

Drilling was scary but i am very experience with the results, and glad to get the experience. (Just go slow).

I am not yet done with the plumbing, so i can tell the end results yet.

My one fear is that i might have gone too big on the overflow. I used a synergy overflow that i had, thinking that it would be somewhat like a coast to coast overflow.

And for all you people asking “why would you put something like that on an old biocube”, Like i said, it was mocking me.

OP
OP
F

Forkedwizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.

It seems like most people use some kind of overflow box. I guess the part of the overflow Crabs/Kitty are suggesting isn't very large and wouldn't be very intrusive, I should be able to cope with it.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill if you can, but don't be afraid of the HOB overflows. I've had the eshopps HOB overflow on my tank for 5 years now with no issues.

Script_Kitty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot depends on the kind of person you are.
I agree with JD371 that HOB work just fine. I never had any issue with it operating. But the whole time, i kept wishing i had drilled.

Not because of any issue with the HOB, but because i am a tinkerer.

I am always thinking about what i want to change next on my setup (which actually is really bad for the aquarium, cause fish and coral like stable, not change).

So if your driving force is a nice stable tank, then HOB is a great choice, If your just using the Tank as an excuse to your spouse to get your tinkering fix, (honest honey, we have to convert the biocube to trident if we want the fish to be health). Then i would recommend drilling.

JimSRT4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! On a 40 breeder I would highly recommend the Eshopps Eclipse S overflow. Used one on mine for a few years and loved it. Plumbed it Herbie style and never had an issue. It's a complete kit that even comes with the drill bit.
Wtr2r10.gif
#WelcometoR2R

Totally agree with this! It's much safer than a HOB and will eliminate the sound you'll probably get from the strainer you're looking at.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back