Question on Rollermat Filter Plumbing

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I purchased a Bubble Magus Rollermat Filter:
https://premiumaquatics.com/products/bubble-magus-filter-roller.html

After I received it, I realized it's only good for 500 GPH. My setup pushes around 2000 GPH.

So I have two options that I can think of doing... And I need opinions...

1. Split the overflow plumbing using a TEE, and install a valve to direct partial flow to the rollermat filter, and just have the rest go directly into the sump.

OR

2. Leave the plumbing as-is (directly into the sump), and just use one of my spare water pumps, and run the rollermat filter off of a pump that sits in the sump.

Which option should I go for?

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ll both work. Personally I’d run it off the overflow to save a few bucks in power, and you’ll probably catch more junk that way too.

Miker79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you determining your flow rate? Measured flow or from the pump rating? The rated flow rates on the pump can be deceiving since they measure it in such a way to get the highest numbers, in real life application you will see much less then what is on the chart. I would run it on the return and see if there is an issue most likely on a 3/4” or 1” return line 500 gph will be fine.

You can also put a container under you return and measure the time it takes to fill and calculate your actual flow.

OP
OP
drbogger

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you determining your flow rate? Measured flow or from the pump rating? The rated flow rates on the pump can be deceiving since they measure it in such a way to get the highest numbers, in real life application you will see much less then what is on the chart. I would run it on the return and see if there is an issue most likely on a 3/4” or 1” return line 500 gph will be fine.

You can also put a container under you return and measure the time it takes to fill and calculate your actual flow.
I have 8 tanks plumbed together.

The pump is rated for 4000 GPH, but I'm also running my protein skimmer and UV sterilizer off of it also.

So I figured after the head pressure, and everything else in between, I'm getting approximately 2000 GPH through the drain line.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back