Question on Sea Urchins in SPS Tank

Patrick Cox

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2012
Messages
331
Reaction score
85
Location
Lexington, KY
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
I recently started an SPS tank and I used Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock. I have discovered that I have two small Black Sea Urchins in the tank. My question is, I know these will get fairly large. So do I need to worry about them knocking my SPS frags over with the long spines? Any other concerns?

Thanks!
 
Are they the long spine type? I used live rock from TBSW and had a white short spined one in my tank. I thought it was cool. Now I strongly dislike him. He cruises around the tank and picks things up and knocks everything over. Sometimes I'll come home and find frags just missing. I'll find them later dropped behind the rocks somewhere generally inaccessible, sometimes upside down and dead in the sand.

It's cool from a biodiversity standpoint, and I wouldn't kill him, but I kind of wish he wasn't there from the start. Yours might be a bit different if they're the long spined black ones, though.
 
Are they the long spine type? I used live rock from TBSW and had a white short spined one in my tank. I thought it was cool. Now I strongly dislike him. He cruises around the tank and picks things up and knocks everything over. Sometimes I'll come home and find frags just missing. I'll find them later dropped behind the rocks somewhere generally inaccessible, sometimes upside down and dead in the sand.

It's cool from a biodiversity standpoint, and I wouldn't kill him, but I kind of wish he wasn't there from the start. Yours might be a bit different if they're the long spined black ones, though.

Yes, mine are both black. I assume long spine. They are both fairly small. If I don't keep him I will give to LFS. Here is a picture. This is the larger one and I can tell it is growing...

_DSC0727-XL.jpg
 
Although they are great algae munchers they are also bulldozers when it comes to corals. I would like to have one but will never do so because of that reason.

That guy looks pretty cool, can he be a sump urchin?
 
urchin are cool and i like the diversity in the tank, but the are buylldozers and will knock lots of things around and down. Also, I have seen them munching on sps and will not house one anymore....lol
 
urchin are cool and i like the diversity in the tank, but the are buylldozers and will knock lots of things around and down. Also, I have seen them munching on sps and will not house one anymore....lol

I guess that settles it. I will put too much into my SPS colonies to have an Urchin bulldoze them! Thanks.
 
I have one in my tank that is full of SPS. I've never had a problem with it. My turbo snails do more destruction. They will eat all your Coralline alga off your rocks.
 
I have 2 in mine both pretty small and they will occasionally pick something up, but no algae in the display is well worth reglueing down a frag every now then. Plus my star fish does more damage than an urchin ever could.
 
Yes I've got poked by one also and it does hurt like no other. It taught me to always look befor reaching behind a rock.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new