Question on treatmen

Edgar F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

quick question i recently got a blue tang 2 weeks ago and fish has been shied to start, not eating and a few days ago I saw him flashing gasping for air and I suspect flukes on gills.

on Thursday i did a first round of prazy and did not see any change still not eating. i dont see any signs of ich but the flashing still continues looks like it is scratching the guils

was thinking of doing a water change today and remove all the medication the do another round of prazy tomorrow as it may have been an old batch that i got a year ago or more lol

any recommendations?

by the way all other fish look fine and eating like piggies :D

thanks all

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
stay with your protocol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all

quick question i recently got a blue tang 2 weeks ago and fish has been shied to start, not eating and a few days ago I saw him flashing gasping for air and I suspect flukes on gills.

on Thursday i did a first round of prazy and did not see any change still not eating. i dont see any signs of ich but the flashing still continues looks like it is scratching the guils

was thinking of doing a water change today and remove all the medication the do another round of prazy tomorrow as it may have been an old batch that i got a year ago or more lol

any recommendations?

by the way all other fish look fine and eating like piggies :D

thanks all
It may be eating but not in your presence. Next feeding, step way back and see if its coming for food.
Prazi does reduce appetite. How did you dose it (what measurement?)
Add aeration with air stone when using prazi

OP
OP
Edgar F

Edgar F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 110 gal so i dose for like 90 gal about 20 ml of Prazy, yeah i did add an air stone.
i been watching have a camera and no does not eat since i put him in

was thinking of getting everything out and dose again as maybe my bottle of Prazy was too old.

OP
OP
Edgar F

Edgar F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be eating but not in your presence. Next feeding, step way back and see if its coming for food.
Prazi does reduce appetite. How did you dose it (what measurement?)
Add aeration with air stone when using prazi
Have a camera been looking for 2 days he barely swims strong enough flow puches him around:(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have a camera been looking for 2 days he barely swims strong enough flow puches him around:(
Please provide video under white light intensity

OP
OP
Edgar F

Edgar F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this one out its in blue but it's king a clear will get one tonight

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this one out its in blue but it's king a clear will get one tonight

Still to blue and far away to really evaluate.

My concern is that flukes usually do not cause a fish not to eat until that fish is really close to death. I've seen fish with flukes feed right up to a day or two before they died.

Protozoan diseases like velvet cause rapid breathing and the fish won't eat, almost from when the symptoms begin.

Bacterial infections can more rarely cause rapid breathing as well.

That all said, do you know the history of this fish before you got it? Was it eating at the store? Sometimes, more often than people realize, fish are sold that have pre existing issues. I always ask to see a fish eat before I buy it.

One issue is that some of the areas where these fish are collected use cyanide to stun the fish. Many of those fish (sometimes over 50%) do not survive the first 40 days in captivity. While rapid breathing is not a common symptom of that, excessive shyness is.

Jay

OP
OP
Edgar F

Edgar F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My concern is that flukes usually do not cause a fish not to eat until that fish is really close to death. I've seen fish with flukes feed right up to a day or two before they died.

Protozoan diseases like velvet cause rapid breathing and the fish won't eat, almost from when the symptoms begin.

That all said, do you know the history of this fish before you got it? Was it eating at the store? Sometimes, more often than people realize, fish are sold that have pre existing issues. I always ask to see a fish eat before I buy it.

One issue is that some of the areas where these fish are collected use cyanide to stun the fish. Many of those fish (sometimes over 50%) do not survive the first 40 days in captivity. While rapid breathing is not a common symptom of that, excessive shyness is.

Jay
Don't have a lot of information for the fish have a friend who use to have a store he closed the store but still do orders the fish was shipped on wensdays and arrive the same day like around 10 pm. Acclimated the fish and went in the tank.

Right now did a water change and will take a better video once he comes out and post it asap.

OP
OP
Edgar F

Edgar F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Thus us the best I could do it doesn't come out :(

when you paste the link change the quality to 720 fist video looks better by the way

OP
OP
Edgar F

Edgar F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thus us the best I could do it doesn't come out :(

when you paste the link change the quality to 720 fist video looks better by the way

got this one he got out for a bit

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately - I have no way to view the videos:( - I'm sure the others will weigh in again.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got this one he got out for a bit

I don't see anything alarming in the videos (from what I could see). The fish isn't breathing too fast.

Are you using praziquantel powder, or Prazipro? Prazipro usually has an expiration date on a sticker on the bottom of the bottle. It doesn't have a super long shelf life.

Jay

OP
OP
Edgar F

Edgar F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything alarming in the videos (from what I could see). The fish isn't breathing too fast.

Are you using praziquantel powder, or Prazipro? Prazipro usually has an expiration date on a sticker on the bottom of the bottle. It doesn't have a super long shelf life.

Jay

i haven't checked but its oooold ....im using prazipro well i just checked it expired on 2021 . fudge.= :(

i did catch him scratching his gills a few times this afternoon and going crazy for a few seconds.

I'm going to get a new one tomorrow and try again.

today i did a 25% water change and added carbon and turned on the UV.

hope it wii helps

OP
OP
Edgar F

Edgar F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a new bottle of prazi and started the dose again.

as soon as i added the prazi it started scratching the guiles hopefully this new bottle at full strength will do the trick for the tang.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back