Question on Tropic Marin trace elements

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing either acropower or Red Sea energy. To my understanding both are just amino but do they contain any trace elements?

Can I or should I be dosing tropic marin pro coral A and k for trace elements?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no magic number with respect to trace element dosing. Every tank will have different relative needs, and mixtures are just average guesses. Adding half as much or twice as much as any manufacturer recommends may be fine, may be better, or may be worse.

Trial and error on your own tank is really the only way to know well.

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since adding TM trace A and K+ my skimmer is now taking out a fair amount of water (half a cup every day) I have had the skimmer raised higher and still higher and it stills manages to collect half a cup. I turn off the skimmer for a hour or so after dosing. The skimmer is rated for the tank. Any ideas please.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since adding TM trace A and K+ my skimmer is now taking out a fair amount of water (half a cup every day) I have had the skimmer raised higher and still higher and it stills manages to collect half a cup. I turn off the skimmer for a hour or so after dosing. The skimmer is rated for the tank. Any ideas please.

Do you see an instantaneous effect on skimming on addition, or is this a longer time effect (as might happen by organisms responding to different trace element levels by secreting organics?).

I do not see a reason why those should directly impact a skimmer, but TM doesn't state all the ingredients. I do not think any of the trace elements in them will be skimmed out as dosed (maybe later, when they bind to organics in the water).

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except a tiny amount of an organic dye nothing but the inorganic trace elements salts are in the Tropic Marin K+ and A- Elements. No hydrocolloids that could increase skimming are added to the Tropic Marin K+ and A- Elements.

It are organic secretions (so called exopolymers) of corals, bacteria and microalgae that get skimmed and increase skimming.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back