Question on use of Focus

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, two quick questions on Focus...

First question, just out of curiosity, how does it work? Honestly when I first heard of using some additional product to magically bind medication to food I thought it sounded bogus but everyone recommends it so it must actually do something.

Second question, although Focus is generally recommended for use with powdered medications, would it's use also facilitate the use of non-medicated liquid food soaks (liquid vitamin and HUFA supplements such as Vitamarin or Selcon)? Let's say I'm soaking a cube of food in some Vitamarin - would mixing in a spoonful of focus help the soak bind to the food?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, two quick questions on Focus...

First question, just out of curiosity, how does it work? Honestly when I first heard of using some additional product to magically bind medication to food I thought it sounded bogus but everyone recommends it so it must actually do something.

Second question, although Focus is generally recommended for use with powdered medications, would it's use also facilitate the use of non-medicated liquid food soaks (liquid vitamin and HUFA supplements such as Vitamarin or Selcon)? Let's say I'm soaking a cube of food in some Vitamarin - would mixing in a spoonful of focus help the soak bind to the food?
Focus works by containing a polymer. For this to work, the food much have some moisture which is why you have to add water if using it with pellets or flake. The polymer in Focus combines with this water to form a thick, gel like substance. This gel is what holds the powdered medications to the food long enough to be eaten. Once added to water it won't stay bound long which is why it is important not to overfeed.

Focus would work better with powdered medication but it will work with liquids also. If you thawed the cube of food, drained it, and replaced the water with Vitamarin you could then add Focus. All it would do is let the Vitamarin stay with the food a little longer and probably isn't worth the effort.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back