Question on water changes and nitrates/phosphates

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several tanks. This is my LAST tank :) . A 30 gallon nuvo. In the past I have struggled with my water being too clean. Dinos/algae issues etc.
I had planned on doing a 3 gallon water change on the actual 19 gallons of water it holds (i measured after the rock was added). I have always struggled with low phosphates and low nitrates. I wanted to get into the routine of doing weekly water changes, but have found after I cycled the tank that my tank parameters are dropping again. I have then started doing water changes every 2 weeks. My parameters are still very low (nitrate/Phosp). I could start dosing, but are hesitant as my tank is not fully stocked yet. I overfeed the tank to have some reading in there. However, Im afraid to do water changes , but know its essential to the corals.
I have no skimmer, just running filter pads and carbon at this time.
Should I just do a smaller water change weekly? 3 gallons every 2 weeks and just be happy with the .20 nitrate readings? My hanna checker keeps reading 0 on phosphate and so I am just terrified of dinos getting a hold.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LAST tank. Been there, said that. I believe you, really. You're actually removing very little nutrients with water changes - it's mostly to naturally restore any elements that your corals would normally consume (alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and all the other trace elements).

What do you have in the tank in terms of corals, fish, cleanup crew, etc. Any pictures?

OP
OP
linkedsilas

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LAST tank. Been there, said that. I believe you, really. You're actually removing very little nutrients with water changes - it's mostly to naturally restore any elements that your corals would normally consume (alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and all the other trace elements).

What do you have in the tank in terms of corals, fish, cleanup crew, etc. Any pictures?
No pics, just a CUC of a few snails and 2 hermits with a conch. Baby clown....
I am trying to move over the fish from the 90g , but my success is not happening. I wound up buying a trap so ammonia will be rising soon when I add them.
Ill continue every 2 weeks for now and when I add some more livestock I will step it up. But, I am checking the parameters weekly and charting.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several tanks. This is my LAST tank :) . A 30 gallon nuvo. In the past I have struggled with my water being too clean. Dinos/algae issues etc.
I had planned on doing a 3 gallon water change on the actual 19 gallons of water it holds (i measured after the rock was added). I have always struggled with low phosphates and low nitrates. I wanted to get into the routine of doing weekly water changes, but have found after I cycled the tank that my tank parameters are dropping again. I have then started doing water changes every 2 weeks. My parameters are still very low (nitrate/Phosp). I could start dosing, but are hesitant as my tank is not fully stocked yet. I overfeed the tank to have some reading in there. However, Im afraid to do water changes , but know its essential to the corals.
I have no skimmer, just running filter pads and carbon at this time.
Should I just do a smaller water change weekly? 3 gallons every 2 weeks and just be happy with the .20 nitrate readings? My hanna checker keeps reading 0 on phosphate and so I am just terrified of dinos getting a hold.
Maybe ignore until stocked.

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what test kit are you using for the nitrates? I recommend salifert and or red sea for all tests personally. Also, your tank doesnt have any livestock. Im sure adding some will help between their waste and getting fed - kali

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back