Question on Zoa Spider, Nudi, Pox......

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that the name Zoa spider, nudi, pox are general terms for pest. However with Zoa spiders are they exclusive to Zoanthids or will they prey on Palys as well? Same with Nudis and Pox....are some exclusive to certain kinds of polyps?

Reason for asking is, I found some hitchhikers on a coral purchased during dipping, looked like zoa spiders, and so I removed any evidence of them and any eggs I could find. These were found on a large rock of Radioactive Dragon Eye zoas, apparently I missed some egg sack(s) somewhere and have found one or two more after dipping my other frags/colonies after I noticed some polyp retraction for a few days at a time. What Im hoping to find a more exact idea of the critter, and that if certain "pest" will seek only certain polyp strands I can focus more on dipping/ QT one kind of polyp or another.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience they have been exclusive to zoas. They didn't bother my zoa. The same goes for monti eating nudis. But I would assume this depends one the species of pests. I dont have enough knowledge to give an authoritative answer

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is going to think I’m certifiably crazy but I have a pest zoanthid problem in my SPS tank. Any chance of extracting some of these pests alive and selling them to me?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back