Question Since Power is Out

Gman83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some bad storms came through Friday, and knocked out our power. Not sure when it will get back on.

I have two battery powered bubblers to help keep the fish alive, and everyone but my firefish seems to be fine (I don't know that anything is wrong with the firefish, the emergency bubblers are louder than the regular set up so i think its hiding).

I'll keep watching my fish, and try to keep temp in check best i can.

Fish stock: royal gramma, two clowns, b. Cardinal, firefish, and midas blenny.

Coral stock: duncan, torch, hammer, lepto, acan, and 6 zoa frags.

Inverts: hermits, snails, emerald crab, RBTA.

My questions are, on the corals, without lights or strong flow, hiw much longer can they hold out?

Then my big question, with the RBTA, who was doing awesome, should I take it out with its rock, and keep it in a seperate bucket? So if it dies, it doesn't nuke my tank.

I'm currently leaning toward pulling it if power isnt back on soon.

Thanks,
Geoff

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how long power will be out? Maybe run out and grab a generator if you want everything to survive

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good plan. The corals can go days in stilled water and be fine if temps in home are reasonable

just like the anemone possibly being removed watch for any fish that don’t make it/ remove if applicable

dont run full light power when it restores, go easier intensity a few days for bleach prevention after insults

scubaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a DC inverter that i found at an auto part store when we lost power here in Dallas for three days a few winters ago and it handled my 130 gal tank well. Had to run an extension cord from my truck into the house, but generators during that freeze were no where to be found.

OP
OP
G

Gman83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know if they know how long it will be. They are saying tomorrow at the latest, but the news also said they brought in linesmen from other states to help.

Buying a generator probably isn't practicle right now. I dont think my wife would ok the purchase of a generator; while she likes the fish, i think this would cross the line with her.

Which i get, and understand.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if they know how long it will be. They are saying tomorrow at the latest, but the news also said they brought in linesmen from other states to help.

Buying a generator probably isn't practicle right now. I dont think my wife would ok the purchase of a generator; while she likes the fish, i think this would cross the line with her.

Which i get, and understand.
Tell her its for the fridge, fans and phone chargers

OP
OP
G

Gman83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We weathered the storm. The inverter idea didn't fly with the boss (she didn't like the idea of them getting better care than her and the kids, even if framed around the freezer). All fish survived. So far only deaths were my nem and an alev that was flirting with death.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back