Question

Duhnk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the bar trace element and how would I lower the level of this element?

image.jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ba is barium. I would do a series of water changes. Water soluble barium compounds are toxic though no idea of the amounts required for the toxicity. It could of course be seeing concentrations of insoluble compounds which is more likely, as these are far more common. That is about 10x lower than is allowed in drinking water could have come from your water supply.

OP
OP
Duhnk

Duhnk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ba is barium. I would do a series of water changes. Water soluble barium compounds are toxic though no idea of the amounts required for the toxicity. It could of course be seeing concentrations of insoluble compounds which is more likely, as these are far more common. That is about 10x lower than is allowed in drinking water could have come from your water supply.
I have results from my water supply and it’s showing 0? So only a water change could reduce the levels then?

image.jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have results from my water supply and it’s showing 0? So only a water change could reduce the levels then?

image.jpg

Yes unless the source is in your tank or mixing container. Some aluminum items use barium. Baryte is sourced from some limestone deposits. As long as isnt being replenished wc should bring back down.

Carbon does not remove barium to my knowledge, only known from procedures for barium sulfide consumption. Not really an expert on its effect on marine environment.

OP
OP
Duhnk

Duhnk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx okay I’ll do a water change. I was trying to avoid doing one but looks like it’s the best option. Thx for the info!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost never would trace element sources be primarily tap water if you purified it with an RO/Di.

The barium may be from some types of GFO, if you use that. I personally wouldn't worry about barium at that level unless there's a tank problem.

OP
OP
Duhnk

Duhnk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost never would trace element sources be primarily tap water if you purified it with an RO/Di.

The barium may be from some types of GFO, if you use that. I personally wouldn't worry about barium at that level unless there's a tank problem.
I’m using aquamaxx gfo and ya I’m using ro/di water. Ill try a different gfo but tank is healthy for the most part with a few low trace elements.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using aquamaxx gfo and ya I’m using ro/di water. Ill try a different gfo but tank is healthy for the most part with a few low trace elements.

Seems like a reasonable plan. Happy reefing. :)

Back