Questions about a DIY Algae Scrubber.

esloan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking of making a simple algae scrubber for my tank and I have a couple of questions. My tank is about 55 gallons and is a basic cube shape. I have a Trigger Systems cube sump/refugium underneath it, in the stand. I do not have much room in my sump/refugium currently. It has three chambers, one chamber is filled with the return, the filter sock and a large skimmer. The return chamber currently contains the return pump and a calcium reactor. The refugium chamber currently has a shallow sand bed, some live rock and a bit of Pom Pom Gracilaria macroalgae.

I was running chaeto in the refugium but it got to be a pain because it would occasionally break off and get into my display tank. So, I want to use an algae scrubber in my refugium.

Here is my question: Since I do not have much space, I was thinking of just cutting a piece of egg crate to the width and length of my refugium chamber, gluing a piece of that roughed up mesh to it and mounting it horizontally in my refugium and just under the water line. Then using my old chaeto grow light shining down on it. Would this work? I see everyone making the waterfall style but I just don't have enough room in my cabinet. I could do one of the upflow algae scrubbers but why would it be any better than what I stated above?

Thanks and any advice would be much appreciated!

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I'm mistaken, it sounds like you want to make something like santa Monica's surf scrubber. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but only one way to find out. I say go for it.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider making sure you get good strong lighting .

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may work to some degree, but I don’t know how well. I doubt the flow rate would be enough to filter really well.

IMO, an upflow would be a better option because that’s what it’s tested and designed to do. However, upflows are not as proven as the waterfall design. I would suggest trying a shorter, but longer width screen if height is an issue, or trying an upflow (knowing that it may not work as well)

All that said though, the new cheato reactors may be a better, simpler, and easier way of using algae as filtration.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back