Questions about Apex vs GHL vs Hydros

  • Thread starter Thread starter BradB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I should also consider the "Reef Angel". It seems to have never really caught on and is losing the market share it had to the 3 I already mentioned - but it's an Arduino. This is literally the most flexible and future proof option as anything it doesn't support can be added.
My first controller was a Reef Angel. I retired it a few years back, replaced by Apex Classic. My new build (2nd DT) is running on a Profilux3 ex.

I loved the RA, but I would say it really is not for everyone. Programming was not too bad, but I have some experience with coding. I would image it would be really something for those without some background or interest.

Even though it's a much smaller market than Neptune or GHL, the creator of RA is very active and knowledgeable. I found all of my questions, could be answered in the forums.

If you are into diy RA cannot be beat. I did find I was running out of memory with the standard RA. I don't think this is an issue with RA Star or Plus.

Between GHL/Neptune, I feel they are pretty much the same for my purposes. Both work well for scheduling and cycling outlets based on programming. pH/Orp I don't see a difference. The Orp can be switch to pH in GHL (not sure about Apex) which is handy for a Cx reactor. Both require additional modules and probes for more than one temp reading (my RA had 3 onboard). Conductivity is better with GHL. For GHL it uses a bnc connector and it's glass/titanium I found it easy to find a generic replacement. Apex has a din connector (?) and I broke mine - the glass sleeve cracked during cleaning. Cond reading are more stable with GHL.

Connectivity for GHL was unreliable initially but I found when I connect through a forwarded port it's very stable. Apex is very straightforward and reliable out of the box for connectivity. I use the phone app for both most of the time, but mostly for monitoring. For major configuration changes I use a PC for both Apex and Profilux.

GHL no longer has an external monitor option, but Apex does. I like being able see my temp, pH, and outlets at a glance. Will be really unhappy if my GHL view breaks (no experience with the touch)

GHL/RA/Apex have all been running for some time. P3 is 10yrs, RA not that far behind, the apex classic was bought new, but I feel it's pretty robust.

Of the 3, I like my profilux because I find my diy projects are easier to integrate with the head unit (mostly 10v control). I'm running or planning to run any of the Alk/Ca monitoring that both systems have (not that the classic could).

I found that I don't give the Apex enough attention, because it's hooked up my first tank that has been running for over 5 years. There really isn't must fine tuning to be done, so the apex just runs. It's a set it and forget it situation.

I think in the long run when your tank is really stable the controller reliability is the most critical. If I had to make any tweaks to either system I find myself googling the fix, because it's really a long time between changes.

I dose using a standalone for both systems, turned on/off based on pH.
 
Last edited:
So GHL guy here, BUT in the interest of full disclosure, I'm a bit salty and going to Apex. I'll try and keep the bias out of it and just answer question for question. These are strictly my opinions.

1) I would keep the systems consistent, things just talk better that way. I've always been of that mindset. An Apex with a DOS will open pretty much the same doors as a GHL Profilux talking to a GHL Doser. Mix'em up and you start losing some of those added benefits. As a stand alone doser I think GHL wins this contest for several reasons. I don't own a GHL doser though sooo.....can't add much there.

2) I can't speak on this too much, but what I can tell you is that I had 2 probes go out at the 6 and 7 month mark. The customer service surrounding this issue is what started the saltiness.

3) With your background I think anything you choose regarding the UI will be fine. While on vacation I was able to check on my tank everyday via an app and/or a web browser from 500 miles away. I experienced no issues from my GHL with this.

4) GHL can see power draw, but no historical charts that I'm aware of.

5) I used to do this constantly. $35 float valve is the answer.

6) I can't really comment too much, as I've never held a newer apex. GHL components seem and feel robust to me.

7) Vortechs can be controlled wirelessly by GHL, I think Apex has more options on this, a module is about to be released that is compatible with Mobius so you get Radion control too. DT temperature? meh I don't how you would that wirelessly assuming you want the controller in the basement with the sump.

8) GHL can, no clue about Apex
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new