Questions about Apex vs GHL vs Hydros

n1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also consider the "Reef Angel". It seems to have never really caught on and is losing the market share it had to the 3 I already mentioned - but it's an Arduino. This is literally the most flexible and future proof option as anything it doesn't support can be added.
My first controller was a Reef Angel. I retired it a few years back, replaced by Apex Classic. My new build (2nd DT) is running on a Profilux3 ex.

I loved the RA, but I would say it really is not for everyone. Programming was not too bad, but I have some experience with coding. I would image it would be really something for those without some background or interest.

Even though it's a much smaller market than Neptune or GHL, the creator of RA is very active and knowledgeable. I found all of my questions, could be answered in the forums.

If you are into diy RA cannot be beat. I did find I was running out of memory with the standard RA. I don't think this is an issue with RA Star or Plus.

Between GHL/Neptune, I feel they are pretty much the same for my purposes. Both work well for scheduling and cycling outlets based on programming. pH/Orp I don't see a difference. The Orp can be switch to pH in GHL (not sure about Apex) which is handy for a Cx reactor. Both require additional modules and probes for more than one temp reading (my RA had 3 onboard). Conductivity is better with GHL. For GHL it uses a bnc connector and it's glass/titanium I found it easy to find a generic replacement. Apex has a din connector (?) and I broke mine - the glass sleeve cracked during cleaning. Cond reading are more stable with GHL.

Connectivity for GHL was unreliable initially but I found when I connect through a forwarded port it's very stable. Apex is very straightforward and reliable out of the box for connectivity. I use the phone app for both most of the time, but mostly for monitoring. For major configuration changes I use a PC for both Apex and Profilux.

GHL no longer has an external monitor option, but Apex does. I like being able see my temp, pH, and outlets at a glance. Will be really unhappy if my GHL view breaks (no experience with the touch)

GHL/RA/Apex have all been running for some time. P3 is 10yrs, RA not that far behind, the apex classic was bought new, but I feel it's pretty robust.

Of the 3, I like my profilux because I find my diy projects are easier to integrate with the head unit (mostly 10v control). I'm running or planning to run any of the Alk/Ca monitoring that both systems have (not that the classic could).

I found that I don't give the Apex enough attention, because it's hooked up my first tank that has been running for over 5 years. There really isn't must fine tuning to be done, so the apex just runs. It's a set it and forget it situation.

I think in the long run when your tank is really stable the controller reliability is the most critical. If I had to make any tweaks to either system I find myself googling the fix, because it's really a long time between changes.

I dose using a standalone for both systems, turned on/off based on pH.

Last edited:

ReeferCPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So GHL guy here, BUT in the interest of full disclosure, I'm a bit salty and going to Apex. I'll try and keep the bias out of it and just answer question for question. These are strictly my opinions.

1) I would keep the systems consistent, things just talk better that way. I've always been of that mindset. An Apex with a DOS will open pretty much the same doors as a GHL Profilux talking to a GHL Doser. Mix'em up and you start losing some of those added benefits. As a stand alone doser I think GHL wins this contest for several reasons. I don't own a GHL doser though sooo.....can't add much there.

2) I can't speak on this too much, but what I can tell you is that I had 2 probes go out at the 6 and 7 month mark. The customer service surrounding this issue is what started the saltiness.

3) With your background I think anything you choose regarding the UI will be fine. While on vacation I was able to check on my tank everyday via an app and/or a web browser from 500 miles away. I experienced no issues from my GHL with this.

4) GHL can see power draw, but no historical charts that I'm aware of.

5) I used to do this constantly. $35 float valve is the answer.

6) I can't really comment too much, as I've never held a newer apex. GHL components seem and feel robust to me.

7) Vortechs can be controlled wirelessly by GHL, I think Apex has more options on this, a module is about to be released that is compatible with Mobius so you get Radion control too. DT temperature? meh I don't how you would that wirelessly assuming you want the controller in the basement with the sump.

8) GHL can, no clue about Apex

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back