Questions About Custom Stand

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to commission a custom stand for an Oceanic 120. The tank is not drilled and I frankly am too scared to try and drill it myself, so a HOB overflow is in the equation.

1. What type of wood is best suited for not only looking nice but reliably supporting the tank and resisting water damage?

2. what is the best way to accommodate a large sump given required center supports? Place sump prior to installing last support?

3. Is there anything to prevent me from building it taller than typical?

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a 48” long tank, you don’t need a center support if designed properly. Looking nice vs support can be accomplished with an internal frame and a decorative shell. Up to a point, taller isn’t a major issue. IMO commercial stands are too short for a reef tank anyways. Good luck.

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a 48” long tank, you don’t need a center support if designed properly. Looking nice vs support can be accomplished with an internal frame and a decorative shell. Up to a point, taller isn’t a major issue. IMO commercial stands are too short for a reef tank anyways. Good luck.
I build all of my stands bc the stock ones are way too short for me. I usually build them 36” to 40” depending on the tank and location.

John Rebman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to commission a custom stand for an Oceanic 120. The tank is not drilled and I frankly am too scared to try and drill it myself, so a HOB overflow is in the equation.

1. What type of wood is best suited for not only looking nice but reliably supporting the tank and resisting water damage?

2. what is the best way to accommodate a large sump given required center supports? Place sump prior to installing last support?

I have a 48x24x30 reef tank with lots of rock. Estimated weight is 1200+ lbs. The support for the front of my stand in the center is apiece of 3/4" plywood attached to the inside of my right door. This is just below the front cross member when closed so of there is any sag in the front cross member it will rest on the plywood and support the front.
The stand is going on 20 years old and still has never touched the plywood attachment on the door.
I may be a little old school, but I like to use use oak boards ( not plywood). Properly finished it will be a stand you can pass on to your children and even grandchildren.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my stand with a 2"x6" header along the front and back. Outside dimension 5'x2'x42". No center supports with a 4' opening for sump.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is an opinion of appearance, most woods will support properly using the proper dimensions for the wood used.

No, unless you never want the sump out. If the sump fails you will have to drain the tank to replace the sump.
Build the stand with proper sized wood members and centre supports may not be needed.

No, but the taller the stand the higher the cost.
Aquariums and stands are build by size based on having less waste of materials.
Most sheets of glass are 4 foot by 8 foot standard, so with two sheets you can make an Aquarium that 2 foot square by 8 foot long.
So a 36 X 36 X 8 foot tank will require four sheets. Also the glass will have to be thicker to accommodate for the pressures.
Same goes for the stand materials.
I would recommend doing some sort of bracing to the wall if you go 36 or higher.
Aquariums are top heavy and though unlikely a minor earthquake could topple it over.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back