Inquiry of gap between lumber in a new built wood stand

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2Rers! I am new to reef world and this is my first post.

After seeing a lot of diy fish tank stand by 2*4 thread/video, I decided also do one for my Aqueous 35 gallon cube. To be honest, this was my first time with the lumber, so I began to search how to use power tool right before I began to build it. After 2 hours studying for how to use power tools and 2 hour drilling, the stand looks like this:
IMG_9433.jpeg

And then the problem came to me. Since I asked Home Depot employee to help me cut the lumber into desired size, there is some small difference in the length, about 3mm. Therefore, there is a gap between support wood and the top frame:
IMG_9435.jpeg
IMG_9436.jpeg

I guess most of people who build this kind of stand has tools to cut the lumber into same length, so they don't have such problem. Therefore I didn't find solution online. I went back to Home Depot and an employee in Paint area ask me to use wood glue:
IMG_9719.jpeg

However, no matter how much glue I put in, after 1 hour, the glue will be absorbed (I am not sure but anyway they disappear). Finally, the gap looks like this:
IMG_9692.jpeg
IMG_9694.jpeg

I did't think it has any support, so I went back Home Depot again and this time a senior employee in Paint area told me I should use wood filler instead:
IMG_9720.jpeg

I used a bank card as putty knife to push the filler into the gap. After 24 hours, the filler dry. However, I see some crack....
IMG_9717.jpeg
IMG_9718.jpeg

It is too difficult for a new DIYer... I would like to ask:
1. Is this crack a problem? If yes, what should I do?
2. Back to the very beginning, although there is a gap on top of the minor support lumber, the 4 longest 2*4 lumbers (they are directly connect the tank and floor) are in the same length. Are they enough for a 35 gallon tank?

Thanks for any reply! I hope I can finish it and don't give up the reef hobby at the very beginning...
its nothing to worry about. Ive built alot of DIY stands, Anything that is made from 2x4 or 2x4 is war overkill for the application. You have the weight properly supported through the stand, that is most important. Now you can hold up a Abrams tank with that stand lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back