Questions about Hanna Checkers

  • Thread starter Thread starter ItsMeMako
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ItsMeMako

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 21, 2025
Messages
27
Reaction score
13
Location
New Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a bloom of Cyanobacteria, thinking it’s because of a nitrate/phosphate bottom out. With this said I need Hanna checkers to get a fair reading.

Where could I find them for a reasonable price? (If I can)

If there another instrument I can use to get a specific reading?

Are they worth it?

How many tests come in the box?

Thanks for the help yall!
 
For nitrate and phosphate Hanna checkers are my choice, some also use Red sea tests, but they are more cumbersome and not necessarily more accurate. I buy mine at BRS but they are rarely discontinued.
 
I also use them for phosphates and nitrates. I believe there are 25 tests per box. Yes, they are worth it. There are other tests that are probably just as accurate but rely on you to match colors which leaves you open for error.
 
The phosphorus ULR is fantastic. The Nitrate isn’t worth it. You don’t need exact numbers on nitrate. Close enough is good enough. The nitrate tests are also ~$1 per test now which is ridiculous. Get a Salifert nitrate kit for far less money and you’ll be just fine
 
I have Hanna for pretty much everything. Matching colors is a nightmare for me. Well worth the investment. I recently got one off Amazon that was a lot cheaper than BRS
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new