Questions about upgrading tank

codys21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, everyone, I've read various posts about this but I'd still like to ask a couple questions to all you knowledgeable folk ;)

I currently have a 29 gallon bare bottom tank with no sump, HOB skimmer, and GFO, a couple fish and a few softies. I'd like to upgrade (looking specifically at the SCA 50 gallon) which will also include the addition of a sump (finally). Because of doubling the size, I'd need to add a bunch of new water, but more importantly, I'd likely be adding new rock. Would there be any sort of issue in adding new rock to what is essentially an otherwise established tank? After setting up the new tank, should I wait some time before adding additional fish/corals?

The 29 gallon is my first tank so this will be first upgrade so I know I'll need to do a bunch more research, specifically to sumps.

I'm also thinking I'll move my freshwater fish (currently in a 20 gallon) into the 29 gallon then use the 20 gallon as a QT tank.

Deschutes541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you're using dry rock, there won't be any major issues besides the normal nuisance algae. I did a similar thing going from my 20 to 90.

I would highly suggest buying the new rock now and letting it sit in a container of saltwater as you research the rest of your build. I did this for roughly six months and I had hardly any nuisance algae.

OP
OP
C

codys21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you're using dry rock, there won't be any major issues besides the normal nuisance algae. I did a similar thing going from my 20 to 90.

I would highly suggest buying the new rock now and letting it sit in a container of saltwater as you research the rest of your build. I did this for roughly six months and I had hardly any nuisance algae.
That seems like a good idea. I'm not entirely sure what kind of rock I'll get. I'm not too picky about it really. Something that would be "easiest" and lead to the least amount of nuisance algae would be ideal.

OP
OP
C

codys21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on rocks that will be "easiest" and lead to the least amount of nuisance algae in an established tank?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on rocks that will be "easiest" and lead to the least amount of nuisance algae in an established tank?
these rocks are harvested directly from the ocean and full of beneficial bacteria, however you'd have to remove undesirable hitchhikers https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/aquacultured-live-rock/
Alternatively I also believe that if u don't add too many new dry rocks, then the established rocks should help seed them quickly.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have an excellent plan. What kind of rock is up to you. I would definitely get the rock going while you are gathering the rest of the build. Dry rock won't bring any dead organics or hitchhikers. You can colonize the bacteria with Dr. Tim's or other plus what you have in your tank already. Live rock will cost a bit more but it already hosts nitrifying bactreria and it will come with macros, maybe some coralline and coral. I believe gulf live rock has a 17 pound nano special going for $79. shipped right now.
Do what you are comfortable with. It will all work out in the end.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has upgraded tanks three times now, I will let you know one thing, expect to have your "ugly phases" to happen all over again. When you add a lot of rock it is prone to happening. Some people are lucky and dont have it happen, but I definitely had my ugly phase all over again.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back