Quick Color HELP

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Thread is meant for those with Good-Great Color Vision to offer some quick Help to Reefers in our community with poor or deficient color vision. Whether it be a photo of a test result, coral, or fish they own or wish to purchase, etc. The goal in Trying to keep it focused on quick help & limiting longer discussion of opinions & color theory etc.. is to make timely help more available to those who need it. The more those with Good Color Vision know they can just stop by, lend a quick eyeball/response & move on, the more likely they are to do so frequently, and the faster those needing or confirming answers will get it. Thank You to all those who help.

OP
OP
D

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect timing for this thread!
Can someone please help me with this test result?
20230202_113932.jpg

Thanks!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that lighting as well as the camera used can make colors look a lot different over picture compared to in person. It is usually best to just double check with another person in the home for this.
Given this picture I would say ammonia is too high even for cycling but this could be due to the picture or just api misreporting another ammonia test (api is trash test kits imo, ok for cycling though)

OP
OP
D

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for your response. Please read the op. I am aware of proper lighting, the quality of API test kits, the correct parameters for established & cycling reef tanks. Having what just qualifies as Red/Green deficient vision (which was enough to make my military job options based off written & physical test scores, go from ..Unlimited.. to .. two. ) All I need and what the thread was created for.. is help soley regaurding color, which respectfully is the one thing your response does not have. This will be a positive first step though in establishing this thread as that.
Thank you.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I need and what the thread was created for.. is help soley regaurding color, which respectfully is the one thing your response does not have.
I understand, my father has color vision deficiency and I was asked many times when I was younger to help him with clothing choices regularly.
So i can tell you it is green and on the deeper end of the spectrum, but that wont really help you as the test is all based on the color gradient (different shades of, in this case, green). It is very easy for the color to be altered by light or just the actual camera used, which makes it suboptimal for determining what actual levels you might have. Something like a salifert phosphate test will be almost impossible to view online and determine the exact level. For someone with difficulties seeing colors it is much easier to buy hanna checkers which will give you an exact number with no guessing based on the color.
For the color of a fish or coral, you can also just ask the person you are buying from what color it is, but always get whichever coral you think looks the best as you are the one taking care of the tank and the one viewing it most of the time. It is most important that it looks good based on whatever color you might be perceiving

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this may help to know:

that's an api ammonia test

that reading has been found in 5 year running tanks, causing mayhem, fully cycled, and it's been found in brand new tanks spiked to the hilt with ammonia and legit uncycled.

you can't infer things about your aquarium from that reading.

we need a pic of your aquarium, not the test kit, to tell you about ammonia. ammonia is the 1 kit that isn't required to know in reefing, ironically. Let's see your tank pic for the tracing to begin, if you have a cycle issue it's about to get fixed mighty fast.

other kits will be a gradient challenge, but not ammonia, it's 100% predictable at all phases in reefing, just need to see that tank picture. if there are follow up questions I'll ask them, 90% of the time little details in a tank pic seal up your ammonia issues as either legit or just another api misread.

I have some 10+page trainwreck thread links handy where a reading like that in a years-old tank causes total chaos for the tank owner and the cycle umps trying to help them

ammonia control in reefing follows some hardfast rules we've forgotten about as old cycling science had us believe absolutely anything that test kit had to say, even if adulterants unstated were changing up the readings all crazy / reflecting nothing about the actual ammonia control of the system. you will not require any color gradient assistance to manage ammonia in a display reef tank, I can guarantee you that.

if your tank pic shows a sterile, brand new tank with no life in it then we'll have you fully cycled in a few days using a special trick.

and if there's life already in that tank, something interesting is coming up once we see the pics. I already have a 40 page thread running to handle these hard-to-handle ammonia issues, we will profile your aquarium and decide with thread it belongs in within about 10 seconds after seeing your tank picture :)

that reading, which appears to be classic 2 ppm, means absolutely nothing about the status of your tank's ability to handle ammonia. I've seen that same reading in thousands of fully running, mature and normal reefs. you can move rocks around inside a reef tank, kicking up waste, and generate a reading like that from a fully cycled reef and no, there wasn't any ammonia in the dust-up

all kinds of things adulterate api and red sea readings

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have found a tank pic from this setup in November:

drew1.jpg

is that the reef tank posting this ammonia reading above? A fully cycled and running reef tank?

the color of your ammonia test from any brand test kit won't be a factor in telling you the status of your cycle/tank's ability to control ammonia. only need a confirmation that is the tank from above, or a new updated pic.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that the reef tank posting this ammonia reading above? A fully cycled and running reef tank?

the color of your ammonia test from any brand test kit won't be a factor in telling you the status of your cycle/tank's ability to control ammonia. only need a confirmation that is the tank from above, or a new updated pic.
Lol, I said the same thing about api ammonia misreporting and totally agree if this is for a new cycling tank or and older reef tank but unsure if maybe the OP just put some ammonia in water as an example for the thread.

Already though we have two different reports from people that are viewing the same picture (me and you), but this could very well be due to monitors displaying slightly different colors. This is why i said it is going to be bad to try and ask others to color match tests online and not in person.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to see the tank in question

if its that tank above, the ammonia is at: .00x ppm nh3, orders less than api is hinting above. if it's from a new cycling tank / still would like to see pics of the setup that generated that reading.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Perfect timing for this thread!
Can someone please help me with this test result?
20230202_113932.jpg

Thanks!
2.5-3 from what Im seeing but also a kit I do not trust.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey can we see a pic of the tank in question, sort of a cliffhanger left running until then

OP
OP
D

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could Someone please tell me what colors you see in this tgc northern crush acro?
Thanks!
Screenshot_20230203_182346_Google.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a cycled reef that can't have any ammonia issues, evidenced by growing laser sharp acro, and light turquoise fluorescent blue on the coral/laser sharp quality.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drew

can we get a picture of your reef tank requested back in February to close out this misread thread

just a quick answer to post #7 would help a lot of readers who are tripped up by api

we needed to match that color you posted to the tank at hand, to help people with cycle troubles. There was a dual use to your thread after the original color analysis you wanted was given

if that acro posted came from the tank that generated the green api color merely that acknowledgment will do if we can’t get an easy full tank picture other than the one I found from prior posts

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back