Quick Cure

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two questions. The first is, in regards to quick cure, this basically eliminates all external parasites? Is this an accurate easement? The second is, I am picking up a large pair of Japanese swallowtail angels. Are these guys safe to use with copper?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first is, in regards to quick cure, this basically eliminates all external parasites? Is this an accurate easement?

Quick Cure is a formalin based product, and IME is better at providing temporary relief of some diseases rather than complete eradication. For example, I've used formalin (as a bath) to remove some of the velvet trophonts before placing the fish in a QT dosed with copper or Chloroquine phosphate to finish the job. IME; formalin is ineffective against ich (too deeply embedded) but useful against the following "surface" parasites & worms:
  • Brook & Uronema: 30-45 min bath, followed by transfer to a sterile QT. Oftentimes, 100% eradication is possible just from one bath.
  • Flukes & turbellarians (black ich): 30-45 min bath, followed by transfer to a sterile QT. However, a second bath would be needed one week later to eradicate the "hatchlings" from any leftover eggs. Highly doubtful that formalin eliminates eggs on a fish.
  • Velvet: I've used a 30-45 min formalin bath to dislodge some of the trophonts, but IME copper or CP treatment is still needed afterwards. However, there is some evidence that sustained exposure to formalin may be capable of 100% removal. More info here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d...ven-if-theres-none.258875/page-2#post-3070483
It should be noted that formalin is not without its downsides. In addition to not always being well tolerated by certain fish, it is also a known carcinogen. The risk is not only to the fish, but also to the handler of the medication (fumes, skin exposure). There is some anecdotal evidence that certain fish exposed to formalin do not live past 18-24 months. :eek:

The second is, I am picking up a large pair of Japanese swallowtail angels. Are these guys safe to use with copper?

Yes, but I would use a chelated copper product such as Coppersafe. And take a week (or longer) to get the Cu up to full therapeutic.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use TTM in lieu of copper for angelfish (heck, for all fish for that matter). It's better than copper in almost every way as a treatment for Cryptocaryon.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Cure is a formalin based product, and IME is better at providing temporary relief of some diseases rather than complete eradication. For example, I've used formalin (as a bath) to remove some of the velvet trophonts before placing the fish in a QT dosed with copper or Chloroquine phosphate to finish the job. IME; formalin is ineffective against ich (too deeply embedded) but useful against the following "surface" parasites & worms:
  • Brook & Uronema: 30-45 min bath, followed by transfer to a sterile QT. Oftentimes, 100% eradication is possible just from one bath.
  • Flukes & turbellarians (black ich): 30-45 min bath, followed by transfer to a sterile QT. However, a second bath would be needed one week later to eradicate the "hatchlings" from any leftover eggs. Highly doubtful that formalin eliminates eggs on a fish.
  • Velvet: I've used a 30-45 min formalin bath to dislodge some of the trophonts, but IME copper or CP treatment is still needed afterwards. However, there is some evidence that sustained exposure to formalin may be capable of 100% removal. More info here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d...ven-if-theres-none.258875/page-2#post-3070483
It should be noted that formalin is not without its downsides. In addition to not always being well tolerated by certain fish, it is also a known carcinogen. The risk is not only to the fish, but also to the handler of the medication (fumes, skin exposure). There is some anecdotal evidence that certain fish exposed to formalin do not live past 18-24 months. :eek:

Yes, but I would use a chelated copper product such as Coppersafe. And take a week (or longer) to get the Cu up to full therapeutic.
Formalin isn't effective against ICH? what about machelete green?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use TTM in lieu of copper for angelfish (heck, for all fish for that matter). It's better than copper in almost every way as a treatment for Cryptocaryon.

^^Good suggestion, assuming the OP has two tanks (and duplicate equipment) to accommodate a pair of large Swallowtails.

Formalin isn't effective against ICH? what about machelete green?

No chemical is going to achieve 100% removal of ich trophonts on a fish; they burrow in too deeply. You have to wait for them to drop off naturally in a QT, and then use copper, CP or hypo to shield your fish from reinfection by zapping the free swimmers. Or outrun the parasite's known lifecycle by utilizing TTM (best way to treat ich BTW).

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I'm a little acronym-challenged this evening... What is "TTM"?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IronKlub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I know this is an old thread but sadly I just lost my beloved kole to Brook. I'm still some what new to the hobby, a little discouraged but still hopeful. I'm trying to save my fox face and my flasher wrasse. They seem to have the same symptoms. Mocus on their body mostly on their tails along with salt like spots. I justed bought quick cure from lfs but I don't see a percentage on the bottle?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back