Do you treat for Ich in QT, even if there's none?

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use TTM for prophylactic ich treatment on wrasses, no chemicals involved.

I would quarantine 6 weeks minimum, if they came from a medicated system this can suppress signs of disease and it can take a month for ich or velvet to show.

+1

Cryptocaryon (ich) is one of the easiest parasites to eliminate if you use TTM. TTM is simple, effective and exploits the most predictable stage of the parasite's life cycle. As noted above, it doesn't expose the fish to toxic compounds.

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess I am unclear after reading these posts. Can you successfully prophylatically treat for velvet in the DT? Sounds like some fish can be resistant to the disease (and yet be carriers) and even our best efforts will not successfully take care of velvet. Thoughts?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess I am unclear after reading these posts. Can you successfully prophylatically treat for velvet in the DT? Sounds like some fish can be resistant to the disease (and yet be carriers) and even our best efforts will not successfully take care of velvet. Thoughts?
Copper and cp are the only ways to get rid of velvet. TTM nor hypo will have much effect on it. As rampant as velvet is in the distribution chain right now I would worry greatly about its introduction.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, use PraziPro as a "preventive",... or not ? (maybe start a poll)
The problem I have, is by the time you see the white injuries on a fish, most likely Crypt, the jerks have already begun to do damage, and worst, in their gills.
That's why I'm asking to pretreat & hopefully,....prevent or even kill the parasites before they get a foot hold on the fish (or in this case, a fin hold) Sorry, had too. lol

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, use PraziPro as a "preventive",... or not ? (maybe start a poll)
The problem I have, is by the time you see the white injuries on a fish, most likely Crypt, the jerks have already begun to do damage, and worst, in their gills.
That's why I'm asking to pretreat & hopefully,....prevent or even kill the parasites before they get a foot hold on the fish (or in this case, a flipper hold) Sorry, had too. lol

Yes prazi is also a very good preventative for flukes and other worms, sometimes even intestinal parasites but it will do nothing for ich, velvet, brook, or any other parasite.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is CP target ?
Do you treat with it or copper at time of adding a new fish ?

Again, maybe start a poll as we're seeing mixed answers ?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is CP target ?

CP is chloroquine phosphate, it targets both ich and velvet

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP is chloroquine phosphate, it targets both ich and velvet

Plus brook & uronema. CP pretty much covers all external parasites. However, there are also worms (Prazipro & Metronidazole) and bacterial infections (antibiotics) to consider.

I can do that if the OP is OK with it.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is CP target ?

When they say to treat with chloroquine phosphate or copper, they mean in a QT. You would have to remove the fish from the display to treat wtih these things in the QT while leaving the display fallow (or fishless) for about 76 days depending on what your dealing with (velvet or ick). Prazi treats worms - mostly flukes and is a great thing to treat with during QT as a preventative.

The ideal situation is that you QT every fish that goes into your display -before it goes in there- and treat for ick and flukes in a preventative manor. Ick treatments include Tank Transfer Method, Copper, CP and Hypo, Velvet treatments include CP and Copper.

I hope that helps clear things up. Treat the fish before going into the display for ick and flukes even if they dont show signs of it....Every time.... no matter what.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to change the OP's thread, which I don't think it would, but a poll would be nice.
There are several ways to treat these illnesses and everyone has a different idea what should/could be done.
Pretreat, only if you see something, copper, ProziePro, fresh water dips, garlic, TTM,...etc.

A friend said, why put fish through more stress using chemicals, but I brought up the idea to get the critters before they embed themselves into the fish.

I recently read that most wholesalers holding tanks have all these parisites, fungus's ect, because the ocean naturally has them, but their amune system fights them, but when the fisf go through so much stress from the being caught, shipped a few times etc, ending up in our home tanks. Even there slime is reduced allowing easy penetration ect......

There is so much information and different ideas on forums and videos, that it gets very confusing. I know someone will say, do what works for you, which really doesn't help.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper and cp are the only ways to get rid of velvet. TTM nor hypo will have much effect on it. As rampant as velvet is in the distribution chain right now I would worry greatly about its introduction.

Agreed. A formalin dip prior to placing the fish in QT is a good preventative against velvet (and brook, uronema).

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently read that most wholesalers holding tanks have all these parisites, fungus's ect, because the ocean naturally has them, but their amune system fights them, but when the fisf go through so much stress from the being caught, shipped a few times etc, ending up in our home tanks. Even there slime is reduced allowing easy penetration ect......

Most fish collected in the ocean will have some parasites or worms on them. Which isn't a problem in the ocean, since there are about a gazillion gallons of water diluting the parasites. The problem occurs when you place the fish in a closed system, where they become overwhelmed by a much higher concentration of parasites, worms and harmful bacteria. Even a healthy immune system can have a hard time keeping up with that. So, that is why it is desirable to keep diseases out of your DT as much as possible. A DT sterile from diseases, but teeming with good microbes, is a happy DT IMO. It is also very important to keep your fish in tip top condition through proper nutrition. :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. A formalin dip prior to placing the fish in QT is a good preventative against velvet (and brook, uronema).

I've seen formalin clear brook after just one bath, but I'm less confident in it's ability to force all velvet trophonts to dislodge from a fish. Have you seen evidence of this? Have you tested it out on a fish with velvet? If not, I'd like to test to see if one formalin bath will clear a fish of velvet (which would be HUGE).

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen formalin clear brook after just one bath, but I'm less confident in it's ability to force all velvet trophonts to dislodge from a fish. Have you seen evidence of this? Have you tested it out on a fish with velvet? If not, I'd like to test to see if one formalin bath will clear a fish of velvet (which would be HUGE).

I have not tried it with a fish that has a confirmed velvet infection, unfortunately. CP would be my treatment of choice in that situation.

The article below states that formalin does indeed cause trophonts to detach (see section on treating food fish, specifically):

http://agrilife.org/fisheries/files...mportant-Parasite-of-Cultured-Marine-Fish.pdf

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The article below states that formalin does indeed cause trophonts to detach (see section on treating food fish, specifically):

http://agrilife.org/fisheries/files...mportant-Parasite-of-Cultured-Marine-Fish.pdf
Looks like the bath would need to be for a few hours to possibly achieve 100% removal of the trophonts:
Formalin concentrations as low as 25 mg/L, a common therapeutic dose, cause trophonts to fall off of parasitized fish within a few hours (Paperna, 1984b). However, tomonts are not killed, so infective dinospores will still emerge to infect the fish unless the fish are removed to an uncontaminated environment immediately after treatment.

I may try this, and then transfer the fish into a sterile QT with no meds to see if it works.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I treat prophylactically with copper or CP and praziquantel with fresh water baths to determine if flukes are present. symptoms aren't always present on fish carrying ich or velvet so prophylaxis especially with the seemingly increasing populations of velvet going around at the wholesale level really is helpful in providing one's best chances at success.

I have the same procedure, plus more. I start prophylactic Ich/Brook/Velvet treatment as soon as the new fish have been eating well for a few days - usually 3-5 days after I acquire them. I do a FW dip first, and look to see what I'm dealing with. Watch wrasses very closely - they don't do FW dips well ime. After that I do a round of Praziquantel. Once these two prophylactic treatments are over, I'll feed them metronidazole-laced food for internal parasites. It's amazing what comes out of them after a few feedings of Metro food. If the fish start showing something weird that I don't know what the heck it is, I'll do a Formalin dip, but only if it's progressing quickly or I've had no improvement with the above treatments - if fw dip, copper/cp, prazi, and metro don't get rid of it, then Formalin is the big guns. This process usually takes me 4-6 weeks. My QT is always set up and it has a bit of sand and a few 6" clay pots, so there are some meds I don't use. :)

Last edited:

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back