Quick question about controllers and probs.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to plan for the future before I even start my build here. When using a controller for your tank, where do your probes go and how do you install them? Any photos would be really great.

Thanks,

Keith

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keith,

I have my apex Probes in my sump slightly submersed in the water. It's really easy, I wouldn't sweat it.

Sorry for the bad picture. It's early, they're in a weird spot, I'm using my phone and it's Christmas. I have plenty of excuses this morning.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356438615.073548.jpg

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jordan, I did not expect pics on Christmas! Before I posted this thread, I was thinking that they would need to be mount in the DT. But then thinking about it more, the Sump makes a lot more sense. After all, the same water that is your DT is running through your Sump constantly :squigglemouth:. So it seams that a controller is pretty easy to add after the fact.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keith,

Hey man, I know how it is when you are curious about something and you post a question on here; you want a response quick! lol I'm just drinking my coffee waiting for my brother and sisters to wake up to open some gifts, so It was no problem.

You are going to want to keep your probes in a dark place with moderate flow to prevent algae from growing on them. My recommendation to you is to clean the probes as part of your weekly or bi-weekly maintenance. I use just a soft toothbrush and give them a rub down. They can get out of hand (covered in fish tank stuff) pretty quickly in an established tank.

I have the Apex and I am 100% satisfied. I have no experience with any other controller, but I am very pleased with the Apex.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true! I've been leaning towards the Apex as well. I'm a long, long ways off from needing a controller (a long ways off from having a tank as well!), but it's better to ask now then later!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back