Quick question about porites - I'm an idiot

  • Thread starter Thread starter reeefer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reeefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 18, 2016
Messages
53
Reaction score
21
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I got a porite yesterday and today noticed a white spot on it, instead of waiting to see what it was, I rubbed it off with my thumb but damaged the polyps in that area also(the green is alot paler in the area)will it reincrust that part of the coral or did will it slowly die on me. Sorry new to the hobby and couldn't find an answer online
 
Also if anyone knows what the white spot may be?

1476899653366.jpg
1476899657111.jpg
 
The only pest that eats porites that I know of are nudibranchs and they look like polyps. That could just be a spot where something else stung the coral. If it gets bigger post another pic. Nice colony! I love branching green porites!
 
It looks more like spot damage from other coral or organism. Did you dip it? Keep a watch on it. It should just heal over the spot with proper environmental parameters.
 
Thanks for the replies, I didn't dip it as the lfs owner said they dip all their corals before putting them in their tanks, he said It wasn't necessary to dip it again. I'll keep an eye on it, I love this coral too!
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new