Quick Question guys??????

scsdukefan408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would these filter feeders be bothering my blue agaves enough to keep them basically closed...theres about 3-4 of them living on this frag....I say their filter feeds bc im not sure what their actual name is(sure someone on here may) they are white strings and have little tentacles all over it...sorry about the picture they are hard to get a clean shot of bc they are so thin.
zzzzz123_zps2a8ccb68.jpg

Last edited:

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they vermatid snails? I have a zoa frag that i had to move because vermatid snail "nets" were bothering a polyp enough to keep it closed.

OP
OP
scsdukefan408

scsdukefan408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they vermatid snails? I have a zoa frag that i had to move because vermatid snail "nets" were bothering a polyp enough to keep it closed.

they dont have the spiral house thing that they are know to build....i may super glue over them

OP
OP
scsdukefan408

scsdukefan408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most likely some type of hydroid. do a google search

From the pictures off of google they don't look like those...the ones I have are more worm like, not plant like the hydroids look. I went ahead and super glued the whole frag plug. See if that helps,thanks guys for the help

WatercolorsGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am battling either hydroids or mini feather dusters. Can you identify these as either one and suggest a treatment or fish/invert that would help eradicate them?
uploadfromtaptalk1358397004066.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1358397033490.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1358397058346.jpg

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP-google Digitate Hydroids.

WatercolorsGuy: Those look like *Feather Duster Clusters* Harmless filter feeders and not very hardy.

Last edited:

bjledbetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am battling either hydroids or mini feather dusters. Can you identify these as either one and suggest a treatment or fish/invert that would help eradicate them?
uploadfromtaptalk1358397004066.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1358397033490.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1358397058346.jpg
They look like little feather dusters to me I have some in my tank but they have never bothered anything. Thats crazy how many you have though, Id say just break them loose and get rid of them if you dont want them

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like little feather dusters to me I have some in my tank but they have never bothered anything. Thats crazy how many you have though, Id say just break them loose and get rid of them if you dont want them

I agree :) i have alot in my tank but i have a FOWLR so mine arnt bothering me haha

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

WatercolorsGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do behave like a feather duster in that they will retreat into their tube if touched. I do not have any experience with hydroids and am getting mixed opinions. My biggest issue with them is that they are overtaking a large M.digitata... I am not real fond of the look, ha ha.
Any ideas for a natural predator of these whether feather duster or hydroid? This is a mixed reef with zoas, lps, sps. I was considering maybe a box/cowfish as a temporary resident...then living it to the fowlr if needed.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do behave like a feather duster in that they will retreat into their tube if touched. I do not have any experience with hydroids and am getting mixed opinions. My biggest issue with them is that they are overtaking a large M.digitata... I am not real fond of the look, ha ha.
Any ideas for a natural predator of these whether feather duster or hydroid? This is a mixed reef with zoas, lps, sps. I was considering maybe a box/cowfish as a temporary resident...then living it to the fowlr if needed.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

I dont know of anything that will eat a feather duster. U can break them off i think and remove the manual

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

OP
OP
scsdukefan408

scsdukefan408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP-google Digitate Hydroids.

WatercolorsGuy: Those look like *Feather Duster Clusters* Harmless filter feeders and not very hardy.

Thanks NanaReefer that's exactly what they are...heard they are not too bad to have but can sting corals, so all the ones I can find on any frag plugs I'm going to super glue. I know now that they can sting corals and that's why my blue agaves have been closed.

Thanks again NanaReefer I really appreciate the help

Back