Quick salinity question for water change

Ejostling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef tank salinity is 1.024. I was planning a 4 gallon water change today approximately 32 gallon tank. I heated up my water and that salinity is 1.022. Go ahead or not. Thanks

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef tank salinity is 1.024. I was planning a 4 gallon water change today approximately 32 gallon tank. I heated up my water and that salinity is 1.022. Go ahead or not. Thanks
I would add more salt to get it to 1.024.

Presuming the temperature of the water mixed is the same as the tank and/or whatever measurement device you use auto-calibrates to get the right salinity.

OP
OP
Ejostling

Ejostling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because my tank is fairly small and stable, I buy my salt water from the lfs, so I do not have salt hanging around. Going to get some . Thanks again for the quick response.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time you buy saltwater at the LFS, take your instrument you test salinity with and if their product is low, ask for THEM to adjust it in store

Last edited:

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because my tank is fairly small and stable, I buy my salt water from the lfs, so I do not have salt hanging around. Going to get some . Thanks again for the quick response.
Right, gotcha.

Okay, the reasoning for your question makes perfect sense now.

Well, to be fair if you do a 4 gallon water change with water with specific gravity 1.022, you would only reduce your specific gravity from 1.024 to 1.0237, so not a massive change. Presuming my calculations and general assumptions are correct.

I mean to be fair my water changes are never exact, and every time I top up my tank salinity could decrease by 1.021, so it is not necessarily a massive change. At the same time, I do not keep any sensitive species of live stock, so there's also that.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%
Back