Quick Way to Reduce Phosphates

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good for some people & bad for others all depends on tank & current setup. Who knows I may wind up needing one but I was looking for a way to simply lower phosphate by a quick dose as it's way elevated from normal & I think it's a result from my mom overfeeding the last three days.

I don’t agree it is bad for any, if used properly.

hankacrank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all these people. GFO has to be used in a small amount that doesn't wipe out PO4 completely. I have my PO4 level at 0.12 by Hanna Checker. It was almost zero when I had too much of it in the sump.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have zero nutrients and you throw a gfo reactor on you think that's good?

In my opinion, it is an appropriate way to reduce phosphate. That certainly does not mean that reducing phosphate is always needed or desirable. An obvious analogy is sodium bicarbonate suitable for increasing alkalinity. I’d argue yes, but obviously if the alkalinity is already 27 dKH, it is not desirable to add it.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think carbon dosing will be the fastest way for you either. It take a while to get to a dose where you can add nitrate back in and have po4 drop. Also I believe nitrates have to get to near zero for po4 to really start to lower? Or have people had luck just dumping nitrate and a carbon source in the tank to lower po4? I would guess you will have bacteria blooms from this.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run chaeto and have successfully dosed a touch of nitrate to bring down small bumps in PO4. Did not dose any carbon. I think dosed the tank up to about a ppm of NO3, then checked NO3 and PO4 the next day, and repeated.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum Chloride - one of brand is PhosphateRx. Immediate nitrate reduction but be very careful in dosing as it will drop phosphates in 24 hours. You'll also need to have skimmer and/or sock/sponge to capture the lanthanum phosphate precipitate. See Melev for some good videos and of course lots of product info on here.
Do you know who supplies PhosphateRx?

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum Chloride - one of brand is PhosphateRx. Immediate nitrate reduction but be very careful in dosing as it will drop phosphates in 24 hours. You'll also need to have skimmer and/or sock/sponge to capture the lanthanum phosphate precipitate. See Melev for some good videos and of course lots of product info on here.

My personal experience is that this is a MUCH better approach at lowering po4 if you want to control your levels. GFO does an amazing job but in my experience you need to test twice daily because it can strip your params really really fast. With lanthanum you are in complete control of the dose but the problem is that you have to dose it. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal experience is that this is a MUCH better approach at lowering po4 if you want to control your levels. GFO does an amazing job but in my experience you need to test twice daily because it can strip your params really really fast. With lanthanum you are in complete control of the dose but the problem is that you have to dose it. :)

That implies you were using too much. With GFO, you also are in complete control. :)

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That implies you were using too much. With GFO, you also are in complete control. :)

A little must go a long way! :) I remember using 1/4 of the BRS calculated amount for my tank. I am just terrible with the stuff, 90% of my coral deaths have come from me using GFO to the point I vowed never to go back. Luckily my issues with Po4 are usually not having enough.

Jfarooqpak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Tim’ Waste Away works miracles for me for high phosphates and Nitrates.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love GFO, when it’s appropriate to use it. Works like a charm. Don’t use it if you don’t have high PO4, it’s pretty straight forward.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%

Back