Quietest way to setup a return line into a sump?

Hamada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g long that I want to plump to a 10g sump, I was thinking of hard plumbing the return side with a gate valve, whats the quietest way to have it plumbed?

M

member 99594

View Badges
Might need more details of what your are attempting to do here.

What style of drain are you using?
Herbie or Bean Amnimal are the quietest

I use Herbie and run the overflow box that came with the standard tank as both drain lines. (1 emergency and 1 full siphon) I have my drain line submerged in the sump 1” with a gate valve I use to adjust the level of water in the ovrflow box.

my return line goes over the top of the tank. (If I was doing this again. Drill the return line in!!!)

This setup is quiet.

I have a gate valve on my drain. Not the return. I might be wrong but a check valve would be something you add to the return line not a gatevalve.

Last edited by a moderator:

eric33014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd what Calli said. I run the same setup. And check valve goes on the return line not the drain. Main drain gets a gate valve. Stay away from ball valves. Emergency has no valve.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Octo Vario pump with a flex tube connected to my hard PVC pipe. Super quite. I also have used Sicce Synaca Silent which was also quite.

OP
OP
H

Hamada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might need more details of what your are attempting to do here.

What style of drain are you using?
Herbie or Bean Amnimal are the quietest

I use Herbie and run the overflow box that came with the standard tank as both drain lines. (1 emergency and 1 full siphon) I have my drain line submerged in the sump 1” with a gate valve I use to adjust the level of water in the ovrflow box.

my return line goes over the top of the tank. (If I was doing this again. Drill the return line in!!!)

This setup is quiet.

I have a gate valve on my drain. Not the return. I might be wrong but a check valve would be something you add to the return line not a gatevalve.
So for my overflow box it only has 1 drain its the (CPR CS100)

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running a single drain HOB overflow, DO NOT restrict the drain line with a gate valve. That is an accident waiting to happen. When people mention a gate valve and tuning for a full siphon to run quietly, they are using a Herbie or Beananimal drain set up. With a single drain HOB style overflow this is not an option. The best way to silence gurgling and burping noises from the overflow box is to use a stockman standpipe.

As far as the drain line going into the sump, you will have to play with depth of the pipe outlet beneath the water level of the sump. But unfortunately, you are somewhat limited as far as options go, for fully silencing a single drain overflow set up.

M

member 99594

View Badges
Is there anything the tank right now? Or will this be a new build?

I don’t know much about options for a 20 gallon but I am sure you can drill that tank and put ghost type overflow on it. This will give you better options for quieting the system down.

there is one that is 16” wide. Maybe someone that knows more can pick up from here.

OP
OP
H

Hamada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything the tank right now? Or will this be a new build?

I don’t know much about options for a 20 gallon but I am sure you can drill that tank and put ghost type overflow on it. This will give you better options for quieting the system down.

there is one that is 16” wide. Maybe someone that knows more can pick up from here.
Its a new build and I don't want to risk drilling the tank as I shattered 2 before. Its also a low cost setup I spent nothing on this build except for building the stand everything else I already had in my garage tank,sump,lights,heater,pump etc

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back