Quieting the beananimal trickle drain

saf1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
While I agree whole heartedly that what most consider a Bean Animal drain setup is actually a modified version of the true original design. It irks me like saying all slim internal overflows with external boxes are Ghost overflows which they absolutely aren't.

I disagree that the true Bean Animal is the ONLY setup that absolutely guarantees no flooding. All of the modified BA setups provide the exact same security as the original one does just with a different setup.

And from what I have heard he is revamping the website, I'm not entirely sure when it will be back up and running though..
Thanks for the info with regards to his site.

As far as the disagreement - you are probably right. I've only used two. Original Durso on a 100 gallon and currently the BA as a direct install per his design.

Corals.com

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
One of my friends and I both have the shadow overflow. Due to space issues she had to setup her gate valve for the full siphon directly under the external box. Mine is located directly above where the pipes enter my sump. Mine runs silent. The pump in my QT tank makes more noise than my entire DT setup. Because of where she has the gate valve there is always air in her full siphon pipes under the gate, which makes it produce a lot of noise. Could you be having a similar issue?

Bubblehead8292

View Badges
Reaction score
This unit is a full siphon. Extremely quiet. Something I created. No external box behind the aquarium. A slim full siphon submerged main drain with a companion backup emergency drain. Units can be mounted any location on the back internal glass. Control valve for setting full siphon flow positioned near the top of sump, located on the red piping. Yellow piping is the backup emergency drain. Easy to reach, easy to tweak. The black piping is a balanced plumbing loop return with 4 position able return outlets.
20190827_224137.jpg
20190816_104121.jpg
20190827_223743.jpg
20190830_203348.jpg
20190823_164558.jpg
20190724_221854.jpg

Bubblehead8292

View Badges
Reaction score
I have an eclipse L setup as a beananimal with a gate valve on the full siphon. I'd really like the trickle drain to be as silent as possible as it drives me nuts even with the overflow boxes top cover and with covering the top of the weir.

What i ended up doing as a temporary fix is setting up a Dorso using a 1" tee + 1" cap + 1" elbow on the trickle drain, but I don't really like this. It takes the entire height of the overflow box and forces me to nearly close my full-siphon drain to avoid it sucking air as the dorso ends up being pretty low in the box.

I've looked at some other designs but I was hoping for some suggestions on an alternative approach to this. I've been eyeing to do something like the maggie muffler or gurgle

Rate your current reefing satisfaction level! (CLICK HERE)

• Very satisfied

Votes: 174 45.1%
  • Just satisfied

Votes: 96 24.9%
  • Somewhat satsified

Votes: 83 21.5%
  • Not satisfied

Votes: 33 8.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors